add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Power button and cable on DIY case

fanno
  • 34 months ago

Hi guys! PC build noobie here :3

I'm looking to build my own PC case from scratch (wish me luck), and was wondering where do i get the power button cables from... do they come with motherboard ? If not, where can I get them? (I'm in Canada QAQ)

Thx in advance~

Comments

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

The wires that connect to the power header on the motherboard come with the case. So if you aren't buying a case, you have to buy or build a switch yourself.

It's just that: an electrical switch. There are two contacts on the motherboard in the front panel header labeled "Power" or "PWR" (in the manual, if not on the board itself). Bridging the contacts send the signal to boot the computer.

To build your own power button, all you'd need to do is connect a wire from one contact to a switching mechanism, then back to the other contact.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you know if they are momentary switches or regular?

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

I believe it's regular. Basic on/off functions operate like a momentary switch, but motherboards also have a secondary hard shutdown function that's triggered by holding down the power button for a short time.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

You just need to search for them its not that hard using the wonders of the net. I got pages of power switches for computer cases just by typing in computer case power switch on NewEgg.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=-1&IsNodeId=1&Description=Computer%20case%20power%20switch&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=36

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube