add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Thermal Alternative *short term*

LeGodFaja
  • 34 months ago

I recently checked my cpu bc of certain problems that have been occurring and I found that the thermal paste dried the **** out

If I order thermal paste it should get here within a week (if I don't go to my local store but better deals online)

So, is there anything I can put there until I do get it?

Comments

• 34 months ago
  • 2 points

Toothpaste is the easiest answer. I've done it before, and it's usually sticky enough to not get onto the motherboard and kill everything. I would recommend spreading by hand before putting the heatsink back on, but take caution.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Thermal paste is not much more than a filler to help the contact between the cooler base to your processor. Lets just say it fills the gaps between the two when its tightened down. In an ideal world the cooler (aluminum, Copper or combo of both) should make a total 100% contact between the two. But that will not happen do to machine work on both surfaces. So, Thermal paste is the bridge between the two where they do not make total contact. It also helps spread the heat to the Cooler. if its dry it is no good that's certain. Any decent computer repair place will have the stuff as would places that sell parts. Check on line if Best Buy or Fry's has it in stock. Otherwise just order some from NewEgg or Amazon. If your desperate you can overnight the stuff.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

I would just wait. Many household products are either incapable of properly conducting heat and/or are electircally conductive which is a huge NOPE.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

I just ordered some, I guess I will wait

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube