add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Opinions on custom loop

mattias1172
  • 33 months ago

Hello, I'm looking to build a custom water cooling loop for my pc. I have been using AIO coolers for about 5 years now and finally have the chance to do a custom one. I am waiting for the release of the 8700k to do so, but that's the CPU I will be cooling. If support is given, I will be putting the CPU on the Asus Strix z270e mobo. The case will be the Phantek Enthoo Primo. For the GPU, I will be water cooling at least 1 if not 2 EVGA 1080 ti ftw3's. I currently own one but I plan to buy a second to power the new 4k, 100+hz, HDR monitors coming out later this year.

I have done a pretty good amount of research on custom loops so I'm familiar with whats involved. I have gone through the EK loop configuration tool to get a rough idea of the parts that will fit. Here is the link to the parts list: (https://www.ekwb.com/custom-loop-configurator/shared/oW599b7ca816383). I plan to swap out either the fluid for white fluid or the PETG tubing for white tubing of the same size to fit the theme of white and black. Other than that, I don't see any reason not to use the parts listed.

Any suggestions on colored fluid or tubing would be appreciated. I'm also curious if anyone knows whether or not a thicker rad will fit on the bottom. From what I found, only the slim quad radiator will fit on the bottom of this case. Of course, any other feedback or opinions are appreciated. Thank you.

Edit: New list of parts after hearing feedback. Note the 7700k is a placeholder for the 8700k.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $375.00
Motherboard Asus - STRIX Z270-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $199.99 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB FTW3 GAMING iCX Video Card (2-Way SLI) $794.89 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB FTW3 GAMING iCX Video Card (2-Way SLI) $794.89 @ Amazon
Case Phanteks - Enthoo Primo ATX Full Tower Case $246.89 @ Amazon
Other Thermaltake PACIFIC 12mm ID 16mm OD Water Cooling PETG Hard Tube Bending Kit $59.99 @ Amazon
Other Monsoon Hardline 110v Heat Gun $29.99 @ Amazon
Other Top Motor by Dynatron DF128015BM 80mm x 15mm 2 Ball Bearing 4 Pin PWM CPU Replacement Fan $9.99 @ Amazon
Other GPU Backplate x2 $88.00
Other CPU/Mobo Water block $137.00
Other Mayhem Pastel UV White x2 (2L) $40.00
Other Swiftech Dual Extreme Pump $200.00
Other GPU Water Block x2 (EK FTW3) $280.00
Other Pump Heatsink for Dual Swiftech Pump $28.00
Other EK-HDC Fitting 16mm G1/4 (Black) x12 $96.00
Other EK-HD Tube 12/16mm 500mm x3 (PETG Tubing) $36.00
Other EK Coolstream CE 420 Radiator $100.00
Other EK Coolstream CE 280 Radiator $76.00
Other EK-FC Terminal DUAL Serial 3-Slot $23.00
Other EK X3 250 Res $63.00
Other EK X3 Multi Port Top $18.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $3696.63
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-22 01:37 EDT-0400

Comments

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

i cant help you with the radiator thickness but i can tell you that if you colour your liquid with a pastell colour wich is not see trough maintenance is gonna be needed every 6-10 months. so you would have to flush your system every now and then but as long as you are fine with that just... give it a go! dont forget a fill and drain port at the lowest part of the loop (if possible) cause if you dont draining will be hard.

i dont know anything about coloured tubing.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, I gathered that pastel requires maintenance at least once if not twice a year. I'm ok with that but thank you for the warning. What I think I'm going to do is get some extra soft tubing to connect to the top of the res for filling and get a 3-way fitting, valve, and more soft tubing and attach to the pump for draining.

Any comments on the parts listed? Anything you would change? I like to get as much feedback as possible before committing to large purchases.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

honestly i would go with a cpu that has 32+ lanes so you can use those gpus to heir full potential but i think x8 is okay for 1080tis too! sooo.... no.... nothing i would change.... i think you have reasons to go with intel not amd so.... go for it! maybe post your part list in Opinions wanted so you get more feedback but i think this build is great! since you already have 1 1080Ti ftw my tip to go with asus gpus is uselless (i only recommend it because then you can make the motherboard and gpu light up together) soooo yeah! im hyped to see your finished build!

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

What would your recommendation for a CPU be with greater than 28 lanes? I'd prefer not to spend $1000 on something like a 7900x.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

okay... the i7-6850K has 40pcie lanes wich would be enough for a x16 sli and 2 m.2 ssds.... soooo i think i would recommend the 6850k.... but i dont know i think the 7700k has higher clockrates and maybe performes a bit better in games. but if you want to do some rendering or something like this i think you should get the 6850k. but as i said maybe ask in the "opinions" forum

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your suggestions.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube