PCPartPicker

• Register

Maybe stupid question: How do I buy a Windows 10 key?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

nj23135 27 days ago

Where does one go for the key itself, no physical DVD or box from a retailer or store, just the key because I understand that's all one needs, but checking Amazon and even this site, all leads to a physical copy when all I want/need is the key. Sorry if stupid question.

Comments Sorted by:

jmsmrvll 1 Build 2 points 26 days ago

I believe this option is a download only, which sounds like the key gets emailed. link

nj23135 submitter 1 point 26 days ago

Thanks for the link. Do you know, when I download initially. do I have to download direct to the USB device, or can I do that later?

Also, my computer will be laying on carpet. Is this a big no-no, what can I do to alleviate this issue? Should I put cardboard between bottom of case and carpet?

jmsmrvll 1 Build 1 point 26 days ago

I haven't tried, but you should be able to download the iso file to another computer, and then create a bootable USB from a couple of different means. Make sure you don't have any files you want to keep on the USB as it will reformat and cause your files to be lost. Help link; sounds like you would want the Rufus option.

nj23135 submitter 1 point 26 days ago

It a head-scratcher to me that not enough attention is being placed on how to actually install windows on a new machine without a disk drive. Almost all the YT videos I've seen show exactly what to do to install the components, and don't address the task of virtually the same importance of installing an OS. Thanks though jmsmrvll and everyone for the links.

jmsmrvll 1 Build 1 point 26 days ago

Regarding your other question, there are people far more expert than me on this. I will be building my first computer in about 20 years soon.

The big issue can be static electricity. Obviously carpet is a key culprit for building it up. A cardboard assembly surface would probably help from particles getting on stuff. IIRC, to release static electricity, plug in your case into the outlet, and frequently touch your case when handling parts to release any build up of static electricity.

gamer74 2 points 25 days ago

You can buy a key direct from Microsoft: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/d/windows-10-home/D76QX4BZNWK4/1NT3?icid=Cat_Windows_mosaic_linknav_Home_090117_en_US

... and they will send you the key via email. However, you can save some money by buying a physical copy, which includes a key: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/microsoft-windows-10-home-64-bit-windows/4423102.p?skuId=4423102

...and simply discard the DVD. In either case, you now have a key which you can use to create your own installation USB drive: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

nj23135 submitter 1 point 25 days ago

I've seen some contention with the USB 3.0 drive I ordered, SanDisk Extreme CZ80, regarding its ability to be used as a boot device. Anyone have personal experience or know if this USB can work for this purpose of installing windows on a new machine?

gamer74 1 point 25 days ago

Any USB drive of sufficient size will work as a boot drive.

pegotico 2 Builds 1 point 24 days ago

Like gamer74 posted, download windows 10 directly from the link he posted and create a usb installer. This will get you the latest version of windows (fall creator). All dvd and usb you can purchase wont have the latest version. As for the key, get it directly from Microsoft (119.99). The advantage is that this key will keep on working, even if you change the motherboard. Other OEM keys will stop working if you upgrade to a different motherboard.

Entrainers 1 point 27 days ago

I can't really understand the question. The key needs to be stored on something physical, you can't just pay $100 and write down some numbers to get Windows 10. You can download it from the Microsoft website, but to put it in a system you still need to put it on a USB drive or a CD

nj23135 submitter 1 point 27 days ago

My 'modest gaming build' --which i haven't received the parts for yet--doesn't have a disk drive. When I purchase a digital copy, do I have to download it to my USB direct away? I know about the bootable USB, but it also needs a key. I'm just looking for some guidance because this is my first build anyway. I'm getting the parts next week and time is crucial to set it up as quick as possible. I just bought the SanDIsk Extreme 32 GB USB 3.0 for purposes of installing windows as it is necessary but, basically, do I need to download Win10 to the USB straight away, or what. Thanks for your help.

Entrainers 1 point 27 days ago

Why all the unnecessary steps? Just buy the USB with windows already on it and don't overcomplicate things.

Captaincow285 1 point 26 days ago

The physical copy includes they key. The key is $100, the CD or USB drive is just a freebie sent along to help you install it. The key is printed inside the box.

So you can go to Best Buy or Target to get a key.