• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

youngconn 25 days ago

Hi guys, I'm a newish creative streamer looking to build a PC dedicated to streaming traditional/digital art on Twitch. I'm looking for a PC build that will allow me to stream at 1080p or 720p (I'm not particularly picky on the quality since it's not a gaming stream, even better if I needed to slightly upgrade it in the future to reach 1080p quality). Right now I stream from a Mid 2012 Macbook Pro which is less than desirable especially with it's outdated specs. I would need another monitor (in place of the Macbook laptop screen), as I only have one external 23inch VGA monitor. As for all other peripherals I have them already including webcam etc.

Budget: $700-$800CAD (I would need Windows 10 activation)

Side note: I also play Guild Wars 2 (low graphics settings) and WoW (low-medium settings) and wouldn't mind be able to play them at higher quality with smooth frame rates but this build is not for streaming games I suppose the option would be nice but my budget point remains fixed at the moment. Any help would be majorly appreciated as I'm not too familiar in building a PC for creative streaming.

Thanks in advance! Con

Comments Sorted by:

[comment deleted by staff]
vagabond139 5 Builds 2 points 25 days ago

That PSU WILL damage the build.

http://www.overclockers.com/logisys-ps480x2-review/

Cannot deliver 330 W, let alone the box’s 480 W.

Ripple control is horrid.

Major solder ball issues.

Secondary rectifiers woefully undersized.

There are a few smears of solder by the output leads, that’s not a good thing. The 2.49 mm solder ball sitting near the main transformer outputs is a rather worse thing. Were it not for those two issues this unit would get an excellent soldering rating. So it goes. The solder ball was stuck to the PCB under the main transformer, as long as it stayed there it’s not an issue. If it rattles around and bridges the wrong connectors, blammo!

This does away with the ability to safely power much of anything unfortunately. It’ll power a computer, but I strongly recommend against trying it. This ripple is not the brief transients that an input filter on a GPU or motherboard can easily mop up, this is long duration, instability causing, ripple.

Much to my surprise, this unit did not explode. In fact, try as I might, I could not kill it. Over ~290 W load it would simply shut down and not restart until I lowered the load. That goes for hot or cold, and is despite hearing crackling sounds from inside the unit on two occasions.

All told, the PS480X2 did far better than expected, but still falls well short of an approved badge. It’s almost into “Meh” territory, but the complete mismatch of the ratings and reality, plus the >200 mV of ripple on the 3.3 V rail, land this unit in the Fail category. I strongly recommend paying the extra few bucks to get a known good power supply, you’d be mighty unhappy if your attempt to save <$30 cost you hundreds of dollars in ripple-fried equipment.

[comment deleted by staff]