add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Power Supply Shortage (Jan 2018)

Locutis
  • 28 months ago

Recently my power supply was questionable, so I went to the local computer store (Memory Express) to pickup a replacement and I was shocked to discover very few units in stock. I did manage to pickup an EVGA 1000 P2 which their system said was out of stock.

I started wondering if PSUs were facing similar fate as GPUs, and so I put in a parts order with my rep. at Newegg for about 20 different EVGA PSUs and some of them were unavailable. Ok, weird.

Today I visited the memoryexpress.com website, and a message about Power Supply Shortages pops up as an alert.

Video Card & Power Supply Inventory Shortage

We would like to apologize to our loyal customers for the current inventory situation with video cards and power supply units (PSU). Our purchasing team are working diligently to secure as much inventory as possible but currently there is no confirmed eta, pricing and availability.

As such, we will be implementing several inventory measures to prioritize allocation for systems builds and upgrades.

We are currently unable to fill or accept any backorders for individual video cards. Online orders for individual videos cards will be disabled. Über Price Beat Guarantee and price protection will be disabled for all video cards and power supplies Inventory (when available), will be allocated for system builds and upgrades Limit of 1 video card and power supply per house hold per day Inter store transfers will be disabled until inventory normalizes These restrictions are temporary and will be lifted as the inventory situation improves. If you require a graphics card and/or power supply for a system build / upgrade please contact our stores directly. For online customers, please contact our websales team.

Again, we apologize for any inconveniences caused by this current situation. Thank-you for your patience and understanding.

Is this unique to ME and to my experience with Newegg, or is there really starting to be a PSU shortage?

Locutis

Comments

• 28 months ago
  • 2 points

This is really only effecting 1000W+ PSU's and is due to miners. Check the link out, getting a kilowatt PSU or greater is nearly impossible.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/power-supply/#W=1000,2000&p=1&e=6,5,4&sort=price&page=1&X=0,95980

The good news is that this hardly effects gamers which is why its only now being noticed by you and now me.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

More likely manufacturers are letting stockpiles run out of al the older models which haven't been selling.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Sort of like GPU shortages are causing a slowdown in new PC builds, which is resulting in a drop in demand for PSUs, as an example?

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

No there has been a ton of old models on sale and manufacturer waiting on stockpiles to drop down to launch new models.

Slower sales means more stock on shelves because people are not buying.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube