add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Stock Dell power supply compatibility

Snipeu2000
  • 27 months ago

I have a stock Dell power supply from the early 2000s, the PC had XP on it if that helps. I'm trying to build a super budget gaming PC so I'm trying to reuse as many parts as possible. The power supply has what looks like a standard ATX connection but is there any kind of proprietary thing going on with the plug that would fry my motherboard

Comments

• 27 months ago
  • 2 points

... stock Dell power supply from the early 2000s ...

Whether it is compatible or not, due to age would not reuse the power supply.

If intent on reusing the PSU, contact DELL since proprietary power supplies are not unheard of by them.
or
Copy the part number of the PSU and conduct a corresponding web search for specifications to see if it is proprietary.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

If that PSU is 18 years old, do not use it. It would be severely degraded. It would not meet its rated wattage and the PSU could give out at any time.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube