PCPartPicker

• Register

pre-built systems cheaper than DIY, why build?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

RTwhat 2 months ago

There are some pre-built systems that are cheaper than the pcpartpicker system build. Obviously they can get better prices and have found ways to save money.

My question is other than the satisfaction of building my own computer and self-assured quality assurance (or possibly building mistakes), why would I not buy a pre-built system?

here is one that i found: https://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Gaming-RDY-VIBG202

Thanks

Comments Sorted by:

InsertNameHere² 3 Builds 5 points 2 months ago

Remember that these systems have absolute junk power supplies, loud fans, cases that restrict airflow so your parts will most likely get very hot, sketchy at best water coolers too

Granddy 1 Build 3 points 2 months ago

The Walmart's Overpowered series desktops power supplies, while ugly, was actually ok and was able to take a 50 watt overload so not all of them are junk.

DaMysteryMan 1 Build 1 point 2 months ago

Umm.. maybe on the higher end models but I wouldn't trust the lower end PSUs with even $200 worth of components.

jinthal 1 Build 4 points 2 months ago

Linus Tech Tips did a video comparing various pre build companies that surprised me, ibuypower was a part of that video. google it.....its been some years since ive been in the game but Pre builts back then almost always used substandard parts to carve out a profit for the pre built machines. building your own literally only takes a couple of hours plus some time for OS install etc and if you shop around you will end up with better bang for your budget with better parts within and no bloatware. This seems to be as true now as it was 10 years ago.

RTwhat submitter 1 point 2 months ago

yeah i saw that video he had several follow ups with customer support and even benchmarked some of them

thunder-93 2 points 2 months ago

First point to consider: If you use PCPP to lay out the exact same system, you'll see that you could build it for much less (like about $1400 if I did the quick math right). So if you build it yourself to the same basic specs/parts you could save yourself $200. That said, you would do the work to put everything together and you would not have an integrator's warranty/tech support.

Second point to consider: Instead, you could also take that same $200 and build your own system for the same price with higher quality components. For example, I question iBuyPower's build with an overclockable CPU like the i7-9700k but only a 120mm AIO CPU cooler -- that makes no sense to me to cut corners here. Also, I would likely opt for a much better motherboard to go with the $400 CPU ... something like the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro. And I would ensure a quality PSU (with quality components) to power everything. So you could get a much better product for the same price if you build it yourself. That is more bang-for-your-buck.

Third point to consider: With your own build (and with some PC builders that give you much more options on components), you can decide where you want to put your money for the build you want. For example, if you have no intention of overclocking, you can decide to save money on CPU and motherboard that you can then put towards getting the next up GPU (for example, dropping down to i5-9600k and then upgrading to RTX 2080).

If nothing else, I would recommend anyone who wants to buy a gaming PC run a few scenarios with PCPP to get a sense of the costs and trade-space on components ... and then compare/contrast pre-builders to see which would give you the best options and bang-for-the-buck. There are some benefits of going with pre-builts, such as warranty and tech support, but those vary vendor to vendor, so do your homework.

Hope this helps. (And yes, I also recommend you watch Linus Tech Tips recent multi-part videos on prebuilders).

yeah i watched those as well. ibuypower has 3 year warranty for the build

thanks for the all the suggestions

SilmeSule 1 point 2 months ago

But you have the warranty from the individual parts.

DaMysteryMan 1 Build 2 points 2 months ago

No... I just beat that list with $100 to spare. Besides, this list has way better airflow and PSU.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $399.89 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Scythe - Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler $52.39 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard MSI - Z390-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $128.49 @ SuperBiiz
Memory *G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $99.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial - MX500 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $49.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $44.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card *Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card $498.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Cooler Master - MasterBox MB600L ATX Mid Tower Case $49.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $59.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $98.99 @ B&H
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1483.50
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-13 08:56 EST-0500
Root_User 1 point 2 months ago

Plus a keyboard and mouse, though if you're like me, ≈$117 is far more than enough for better ones.

i got 1520 with pcpp. i must have messed up somewhere.

However, i went through ibuypower customization and they gave free upgrade: 3000 hz -> 3200 mhz, minor psu upgrade, and 250gb -> 480gb. It does not make up for the higher price though.

i will just tweak your list. Thanks

DaMysteryMan 1 Build 2 points 2 months ago

I would not recommend the 9700k anyways though, if you aren't streaming the 9600k is more than plenty for high refresh rate gaming, and if you do the 2600x or 2700x would be a better and cheaper investment.

koojo 2 points 2 months ago

It was like this for years. DIY builds are assurance of parts used. You get what you want and are not stuck with what they give. I7-6700k in a h110 board, 2133mhz cl16 in a cheap plastic box, a hit or miss bronze rated psu. Idk. DIY also gives the user more knowledge about parts and maybe see there are better/worse parts being used or avoided, will also show price ranges and deals on said parts.

AceBalthazar 3 Builds 2 points 2 months ago

you do bring up a solid point, and i want to give a very simple, very easy to understand answer.

if you cannot build that same PC for less than what they are selling it for, and you want that PC, then buy it prebuilt. A lot of the PC building community likes to **** on OEM's and companies that build PC's but the reality is if these companies were not doing a satisfactory job then they wouldn't be making money.

On top of that, there is nothing stopping you from upgrading your build when the warranty expires, or redoing cable management, or adding more drives if you want.

Personally, I enjoy building my PC's too much to EVER buy a prebuilt, but I can see and understand why someone could be nervous or uncertain when it came to building their own. Most prebuilts are not complete garbage, and the one that you linked looks very nice actually.

The final decision is always up to you

legomaster 7 Builds 1 point 2 months ago

Customization, better quality psus, better quality components.

connor333 1 point 2 months ago

a) you pick the best parts (including a reliable power supply)

b) For the same price I have a 1080ti and a 1tb SSD, 3200 ram.

c) it's not a terrible deal still. my friend doesn't like to build so more power to him.

Edit: This is one of the better builds I've seen though. Usually they do something like pair a 9900k with a 1060 3gb (maybe not that bad, but close)

[comment deleted by staff]
[comment deleted by staff]