add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need laptop recommendation

trust-JoJo

11 months ago

I'm looking for a laptop that is compact for coding on the way.

Must have:
powerful CPU to run multiple application
great trackpad
thin, light and compact profile
durable keyboard with nice feedback

Nice to have:
2k display
fingerprint sensor
yoga like folding
keyboard lightning
front aiming speakers
long battery life

Does not have to:
strong GPU
camera
mechanical keyboard
RGB keyboard lightning

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

The Huawei Matebook X Pro ticks all those boxes more or less. Even with a low power MX150, it has excellent battery life. Only catch is the screen is 3000x2000, so idk if that aspect ratio bothers you. Also it doesn't fold like a 2-in-1 (like the Yoga).

Course since you kinda mentioned it by name, the Lenovo Yoga 920 is also an excellent device. Can be configured for a 4K screen; no 2K option. Speakers are on the bottom I think but are supposed to be pretty good.

The Razer Blade Stealth "2019 version" (actually came out late 2018) is also really good and ticks all your boxes except no 2K option, just 1080p or 4K again, and no yoga-style tablet mode. Also no fingerprint sensor but does have Windows Hello IR camera.

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

Huawei Matebook X getting close and The Razer Blade Stealth (2019) even closer but they still doesn't satisfy my criteria. Maybe the next gen will do it, thank you for your thoughts!

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

Just FYI but a 2K (assuming you mean 2560x1440 like this is usually used) screen is rather unusual for laptops. Typically they are 1080p, 4K, or some unusual resolution in between.

One more suggestion would be the Dell XPS 15 9575 2-in-1. 1080p or 4K option again, sadly no 2K option. Its battery life is worse than average for an ultrabook though, but it ticks virtually every other box I think.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Acer Aspire e15 is a good choice with an eight gen i5 and a modest MX150

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Still to bulky but thank you for the suggestion!

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I know this is probably not going to go very well with this community, BUT, for your uses I'd recommend getting a Mac, like the new mac airs or a pro. If you don't need a strong GPU, many come with simple integrated/low-end nvidia chips. They're super compact and sleek.

That said, an HP spectre or a Matebook Pro would be great as well for the same prices.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Pretty sure recommending a mac is like shooting yourself in your foot.

They're more expensive than other laptop manufacturers with equal specs and their cooling solution for most of them are absolutely piss not to mention the customer support being ***.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Not really... the performance of Macs are great, and windows machines are malware magnets. While windows laptops have far better specs, OS X is so much better than windows AND they don't have a dedicated GPU or they have a cheap GPU for better battery.

Just looking at what this person will be using their computer for, gaming doesn't seem to be one of them. For basic productivity, I feel that Macs are stronger in that area. But a Matebook Pro X would be great.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your feedback.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube