• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

ThePickMan 4 days ago

I certainly thought you didn't but was then put out when I learned that my MoBo drivers were all on a disk instead of a flashdrive. Same with my Windows 10 installation. I managed to get by with an external disk drive, but I was disappointed to find out you still kinda need a disk drive. Would have saved me a trip.

Do you predict CDs will still be around and used in the next couple of years or will they be replaced by something else like flashdrives?

Comments Sorted by:

Root_User 1 point 4 days ago

I certainly thought you didn't but was then put out when I learned that my MoBo drivers were all on a disk instead of a flashdrive. Same with my Windows 10 installation. I managed to get by with an external disk drive, but I was disappointed to find out you still kinda need a disk drive.

You can generally just get the drivers online. If Windows (or your selected Linux distribution) doesn't have a generic driver for your network adapter, you can download an offline installer to a flash drive using a working system connected to the internet. It's slightly less convenient than if the manufacturer provided you with a little flash drive, but it shouldn't be a big deal for a one-time setup.

[comment deleted]
vagabond139 5 Builds 1 point 4 days ago

No, you don't need one. They are obsolete, just look at how many recent cases lack a 5.25 bay. You can download everything including drivers which you should do anyways as the ones on the disk are likely dated and you can install Windows via USB which is faster and cheaper or you can just out right buy it on USB.

RenegadePrime 1 Build 1 point 4 days ago

Optical disc media is already quite obsolete except for blu-ray media and even then it is being superseded by streaming services.

Like other comments on here say, operating systems can be installed from a bootable flash media drive.
Drivers can be download and installed from the original manufacturer website.
Optical media drives can be hooked up with an external drive via usb if absolutely necessary.

DaMysteryMan 1 Build 1 point 3 days ago

Simple answer: no

Long answer: also no

Seriously, the Internet has completely replaced CD ROM drivers, and USB deives are a much better way to backup data. There is almost zero sue for them other than playing movies on your PC, which most people use a streaming service like Hulu or Netflix for anyways.

tigerclaw99 1 point 3 days ago

Dvds cds nope blue ray yep

tigerclaw99 1 point 3 days ago

For my Star Wars collection

powderedonutsale 1 point 3 days ago

Burning BluRays might be fun though, wish the burners were cheaper

kschendel 1 Build 1 point 3 days ago

Optical disks are not obsolete. I would not argue with classifying them as "legacy" media, though.

I have dozens of data and content DVD's and CD's. I'm not about to put them on failure prone hard drives. (In fact, I've managed to purge the house of spinning rust except for backup drives and a couple old machines that are only powered up occasionally for work requirements.) Having said that, though, the number of times I have to actually use a DVD or CD each month can probably be counted on my thumbs.

I included a DVD drive in my build, because of the above and because one fit anyway, but I probably could have done just as well with an outboard USB DVD drive.

ThePickMan submitter 1 point 3 days ago

Another question: Is a DVD/BlueRay generally the best thing to put in your 5.25 bay if you have one or is stuff like fan controllers more worth it?

Zowayix 1 point 2 days ago

Everyone keeps saying DVD for movies is obsolete but I still see them sold in stores in large quantities. Same with CDs, too.

Not everyone can afford fancy internet for streaming services, or lives in an area where fast internet is available. And then some people just don't like streaming services (many people are into collecting physical media). It all adds up to still having a sizeable market for allegedly "legacy" media.

Siwini 1 point 1 day ago

I have a bunch of CD's and DVD movies, so I use one. (not Blu-Ray) Many libraries have collections that a person just needs a library card to enjoy. I suppose I could put it all on a hard drive, then there's still the library question. so it's not worth the effort, in my case. That having been said, no, it's a preference thing. I don't subscribe to Netflix or the like, but I don't need that, so I do what works for me.