• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

dwang040 6 days ago

Was looking at the Intel 660p and Intel says it'll last 5 years with 50GB written everyday. That's a lot daily, but how much does the avg person write per day? I mean, my daily use case isn't big in write. Papers, coding, gaming, videos. I think my biggest writes are probably game installs (swap out games here and there) and video/ music downloads. I would guess probably 2GB per day (assume 50GB game download + 10GB in entertainment, updates, random programs per month).

Also, unrelated but does anyone have experience with the western digital m.2 ssd? It seems to have mixed reviews but I just noticed how cheap it has been selling. Samsung is usually the go to as it's a safe guarantee but you can't help but notice that the WD is $100 cheaper (2tb ver).

Comments Sorted by:

mack_au 4 Builds 2 points 5 days ago

660p drives use QLC flash which has awful endurance and once the SLC cache is filled the performance tanks.

The market case for the 660p has been destroyed by Samsung aggressively pricing their older 860's, 970 Evos and the new 970 Evo Plus as much as half the price they were at the end of last year.

If you want bulk SSD storage get a 860 in either stick or 2.5" form, and if you want a super fast NVME get one of the new 970 Evo Plus drives.

The 660p just isn't a good choice now.

dwang040 submitter 2 Builds 1 point 5 days ago

Is it really though? I guess that's why I'm curious about avg writes among users.

You see, the reason why I'm questioning this is because, yes, it's qlc and yes it has its odd slc cahce quirks (but for someone who is reaching this bottleneck daily, you shouldn't be considering qlc, or even tlc at that), but for the pricing, it could actually be "great value." Looking at 2tb m.2, the 660p is $240, the wd blue was $300 (though has dropped to $275 and now $220), the 860 evo $350, and the 970 evo $550.

In my given use case, where you download a 60GB game + random program installs and writes, the 660p would last you 50 years. I mean, for a person just using this as a steam drive, install their games and after that, the occasional update/ mb writes, the drive could last much longer. It's also important to note that linus noted that the drive didn't slow down until after 100GB was written to (assumption based off of the 250GB steam folder with a write speed plummet with 100GB+ left). Again, in my given scenerio, you would probably hit a limit putting all your games and programs onto it on day one but after that, the writes are well within its limits. But am I an avg writer? Idk, maybe I write less than avg.

Pcpartpicker in itself feels mainly based around games, with people just looking for a fast storage. There have been people looking for proffesional uses, more workstation related, and builds where the machine is consistently running and writing data. But to many people who don't have those latter use cases (usually the use cases I run into more often of just gaming and school work pc), I'm starting to think something like this could work (assuming the wd price is a promo or something).

vagabond139 5 Builds 2 points 5 days ago

For a gaming build and assuming it is just used to store the OS, games, and programs and with SSD's endurance being underrated you are going to be replacing the drive long before endurance is a issue. Imagine that you are writing like 250GB a month(that is with you like buying a new 100GB game every month and writing 5GB daily) its not hard to see how the lifespan of it will be measured in decades.

Yeah, idk been wondering if this drive is recommendable for office and gaming use cases like you said. The drive feels underrated and quite unpopular as Samsung is quite a "power house" in the ssd section. Of course, it's odd quirks don't help it much and qlc seems hated (but I feel like that was the same story with tlc when that was introduced and now it's acceptable to own a tlc drive). But for some who want an ssd or something, I personally felt it was a good buy being one of the cheapest m.2 forms.

mack_au 4 Builds 1 point 5 days ago

Unless your productivity cases require super fast NVME drive, anyone in an office/professional setup might as well just get a cheaper, larger SATA based drive.

The 660p 2tb drive is only about $30 cheaper than the other brands 2tb drives (WD, Crucial, Sandisk), and the 860 Evo is $55 more than the 660p.

If that extra cost is too much then get the 660p, it probably won't have too much real world impact in the end. But just keep in mind it's drawbacks.

dwang040 submitter 2 Builds 2 points 5 days ago

For sure, but again, I feel like if you are running into that cache limit on a daily basis, this drive definitely wouldn't be for you. Of course, 50GB for 5 years in itself isn't very "impressive" for one who is looking for longevity with high daily writes.

2.5 ssd's are also definitely competition as well, I forgot to mention I was only comparing m.2 to keep the "pricing" somewhat similar. As you mentioned, the 860 evo 2.5 is only $55, but $100 more for m.2 form factor. Samsung should be releasing their 2tb qvo some time "soon" I think. Would assume it's priced around $240 - $250 given the 1tb pricing. Wonder if a m.2 form will be available.

kschendel 1 Build 1 point 6 days ago

The WD SSD's are fine; I'd say the WD Blue is roughly on a par with the Crucial MX500. The second edition of the WD Black is a good NVMe drive.

Average writes are hard to say. I'd guess that a busy email machine might be doing 1-2GB/day. My rig probably averages 10-20GB/day but I have the occasional 100GB day when running regression tests; it's not a gaming computer.

dwang040 submitter 2 Builds 1 point 6 days ago

Huh, I guess the wd blue is a "steal" given its price right now. Suprised it's not as popular then.

dryphtyr 1 point 5 days ago

WD Blue is my normal go to for budget SSD's. They're really good for the money. They also bought SanDisk a few years ago. There are some differences between them, but the differences are less & less each generation. I have a number of those as well.

Maybe it's coincidence that the couple of reviews I saw where negative regarding controller issues and short lifespans. Interesting to know that they bought SanDisk. pretty sure they bought out Hitachi a while ago too.

dryphtyr 1 point 3 days ago

Yup. Their current enterprise hard drives are actually Hitachi designs now. As far as reliability of the SSD's, I've read about the issues but never experienced any. The way I see it, any non Samsung SSD purchase is a bit of a craps shoot, but when on a budget, Samsung isn't always in the cards. I use Sandisk/WD pretty interchangeably for budget applications & have yet to regret it.