• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

ShowMeYourPanties 1 month ago

I currently have a ryzen 7 1700 but I was looking at the ryzen 7 2700x and was thinking of buying it but dont know if it's worth the upgrade or not or if I should just over clock my 1700 (no idea how to even over clock) sorry for noob question lol my current pc build

Comments Sorted by:

Allan_M_Systems 3 points 1 month ago

As I understand, one of the primary performance benefits to the 2700X comes from the very opportunistic turbo profiles. Unfortunately, I don't think that those work on 300 series boards, so a lot of the performance uplift would not be realized. The CPU would wind up running at base clocks a lot.

With that in mind, the price premium of the 2700X may not be worth it for your existing build. It may make more sense to snag a "deal" on a first gen Ryzen 5/7 to upgrade your Ryzen 3 rig with, and just leave your 1700 rig alone for now, or consider the 2700 (non-X) model when/if the price is right.

Alternatively, if you aren't really "pressed" for an upgrade either way, I would advise waiting to see what the future brings to this platform. The next generation of CPU's for the AM4 platform could shake things up in a more meaningful way. There's the possibility of more cores, or possibly L4 cache. Regardless of whether we get a "game changing" update like those things or not, we do know we're moving to 7nm for that gen, which is apt to have compute efficiency and value advantages at minimum.

dwang040 2 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

Well, what do you use your pc for and why were you planning on upgrading? I should also mention that while your motherboard is compatible, I do believe you will have to update the bios in order to get it working properly with the 2700x.

ShowMeYourPanties submitter 1 point 1 month ago

Gaming.. digital art.. 3d modeling.. i was planning on updating so i can put my ryzen 7 1700 on my other work pc so it can replace my old ryzen 3 and to update the bios can I just use my ryzen 7 1700?

mark5916 1 point 1 month ago

If you must replace the processor from your other build with that Ryzen 1700 then you will definitely buy a new processor for your current build anyway.

If replacing the processor is not your first priority, why you don't just use that 1700 for your tasks?

DaMysteryMan 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

Learn to overclock. I mean seriously, just set the CPU multiplier in the BIOS to 3.5, adjust the voltage up .04-0.6, and run it and you will gain 40% of the minimal difference between those CPUs. Push it to 3.8 and it performs close to the 2700x at stock.

Allan_M_Systems 4 points 1 month ago

adjust the voltage up .04-0.6

uh... up 0.6??

That'll burn it into a crisp in about 2 seconds flat. Don't do this.,

DaMysteryMan 1 Build 2 points 1 month ago

Oh shoot, my bad forgot a zero.

ShowMeYourPanties submitter 1 point 1 month ago

Yea it's why I was asking lol if I can get the same performance if I just overclock I'll definitely look into just doing that

dwang040 2 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

I mean, you'll definitely get closer to 2700x performance. But at the same time, you can also overclock the 2700x for more performance out of that. I should also note that if you plan on overclocking, it might be important that you look into another cpu cooler? I'm not sure if you have one or if you're using the stock cooler, but depending on the overclock, a better cooler would ideal.

Here's an https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-2700x-gaming-benchmarks-vs-1700-at-4ghz-10-faster-on-average/ I suggest reading. It shows both chips at 4GHz and you can see some of the gaming and workstation tasks. But to sum it up, with the 1700 @ 4GHz and the 2700x @ 4GHz, it's a 10% increase in workstation performance and a 14% increase in gaming. So upgrade or not, that's up to you, if you have the budget, and that 10% is worth it.

wow... apparently I don't know how to link texts... gg

caparts 1 point 1 month ago

I think it's okay if he plans on keeping it for while. But, the 3000 series is due out by the end of the year or next summer or whenever it is. :) He could then try to sell the 1700 but if it's just a performance boost, I'm not sure it's worth it - but, I wouldn't fault someone for buying a newer gen. processor - at least, with those two as the comparison. It might not be sensible if it was a 8700k to 9700k upgrade but I think AMD made some substantial changes with the Ryzen processors and also, one is the non-X and the 2700X is a different processor type so there's more options for him if he does that upgrade.

DaMysteryMan 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

Hey made a typo please don’t shoot the CPU up 0.4 volts, I meant 0.04