add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Looking for a cooler

PrivatePengu
  • 8 months ago

Hey PCPP

This is my system currently: PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor Purchased For $289.00
CPU Cooler CRYORIG - M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler Purchased For $43.00
Motherboard ASRock - Z370 Taichi ATX LGA1151 Motherboard Purchased For $209.00
Memory Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory Purchased For $196.00
Storage Kingston - SSDNow V300 Series 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $0.00
Storage Samsung - 860 Evo 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $53.00
Storage Seagate - BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $0.00
Video Card Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB Strix Video Card Purchased For $380.00
Case Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $117.00
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $123.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1410.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-05 03:08 EDT-0400

I'm looking for suggestions for quieting down the system a bit. The front fans get a little loud during VR, and my CPU runs a little hot. I won't be doing water cooling, as I prefer the aesthetics of a good looking (preferably black) air cooler.

It appears that the Dark Rock 4 Pro and Dark Rock 4 don't work, since my memory is too tall, so I was considering getting a Noctua cooler and a chromax kit, and maybe some matching fans.

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

https://noctua.at/en/mainboard/ASRock_Z370_Taichi

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/xCL7YJ/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhd15s

The NH-D15s will work fine. The only issue would be if you want black then you will need to purchase the chromax kit which IMO is expensive.

Your ram is 51mm tall. So if you want to use the cooler in dual fan mode then your only option is adding a 120mm fan. A 140mm fan will not work.

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

I've been eyeing the NH-D15 for a while - definitely one of my favorite coolers. But, like you said, the heat sink cover is a bit expensive. I could buy the NH-D15S, which doesn't include the front fan (that I won't be able to use anyway), and save some money that way, but I'd still have to replace the middle fan for a black one

I'll compare it to the Dark Rock Pro 4 and consider both.

I appreciate the suggestion, though. You've definitely got me thinking now ^

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

Both are excellent options... The DRP4 will definitely be cheaper as you wont have to spend extra on another fan and chromax kit.

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

The Dark Rock 4 will work work with those modules, you'll just lose access to the first dimm slot in your motherboard.

I'm using the DR4 and the same modules in my z390 AORUS Ultra right now. Memory lives in slots 2/4 and works fine.

The other option if you want to completely overkill your cooling is to go with the Dark Rock Pro 4, and simply remove the front fan. The front fan only provides about 1-2C worth of cooling (the internal fan does the heavy lifting) so performance won't be impacted too seriously. You may need to still use slots 2/4 with the front fan removed. I'm not certain if the heatsink itself will clear the 52mm modules in slot 1.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I wasn't sure about compatibility with the Dark Rock Pro 4, but if it works without the front fan, then It'll work. I do quite like the aesthetics of the black heatsink, and with that tiny temperature increase, it seems more like a plus.

Using slots 2 and 4 wont be an issue.

Thanks for the help :>

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/chJ8TW is an example of the DRP4 with Corsair Vengeance RGB without the front fan.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/xNFtt6 is an example of the DR4 with the same modules in slots 2/4 (mine =)).

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube