add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Always use a new PSU in a new build?

onipar
  • 4 months ago

I'm trying to put together the best budget computer I can for my parents. In doing so, I'm reusing a lot of old components like the tower, fans, cables, etc. I have a used Antec VP-450 450W ATX PSU that I used in my 2012 build still installed in the tower I plan to use.

Is it suicide to try and continue using that old PSU? I'd really only be saving another $40-ish, and I'm thinking it's not worth the risk, but I was also curious to hear what others think.

For those interested, here's the build (I have all peripherals and extra HDD on hand, so this is bare bones). https://pcpartpicker.com/user/onipar/saved/#view=2PxWD3

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

...and I'm thinking it's not worth the risk.

With the above, just get a new unit. ;)

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Gotcha, thanks!

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

You're welcome :)

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

I'd reuse a PSU that's a year or three old. One going on eight? only if I had to save every penny, and even then I'd want to be saving up for its replacement soon.

Go ahead and get the BR. It's a bit of an unknown quantity, but it will be so lightly stressed in this build that I would be OK with using it.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Right on, thanks!

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

I have a PSU that has been used in three or four different builds throughout the years and has been rock solid. If the PSU is still within its warranty period and has displayed no issues, why wouldn't you reuse it?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

The PSU doesn't display an issue until there's something seriously wrong with it. And oftentimes even if there is an issue with it (like ripple being very high) then the end user won't notice because there isn't a big screen on the side of the PSU saying "RIPPLE TOO HIGH!".

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube