add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can a 120W power adapter feed a 250W power switch?

maddog62
  • 2 months ago

I bought a RGEEK 24pin DC ATX PSU 12V DC Input 250W Peak Output Switch DC-DC ATX Pico PSU Mini ITX PC Power and a 120W adapter that does not seem to fit together well. Too tight. Is there any harm in this combo knowing I wont get more than 120W of power to my MB or will this result in total disaster? I am ordering a 240W adapter but don't want to wait a week to build and test this mini PC. A quick response appreciated. All thats on my MB is an M.2 SSD, 2 memory sticks and a Ryzen 2200g APU.

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

What adapter are you trying to use?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, they don't match up. The picopsu wants a 5.5x2.5 mm connector and the 120w unit you listed is 5.5x2.1 mm.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Isn't 2.5 mm thicker than 2.1? If so I would presume it would fit too loose.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Beats me. In any case they would seem to be different and I imagine that they have to match.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

The 5.5 is the diameter of the inside of the sleeve, and the 2.5 is the thickness of the pin in the middle. If the hole for the pin is too large, it won't contact properly and feel loose, even if they're both 5.5mm for the other dimension.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I figured that out and ordered the correct one. It's working fine now. Thanks anyway.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

The darn thing wont even fit very far into the power input and the PC wont power up. I'm 90% sure I installed the case jumpers correctly to the MB. My only conclusion is that I need to order the more $$ adapter that Amazon recommends. Does this sound good? Any places in central CT I can drive to pickup one? Local PC shop? They are closed till Monday. Ugh!

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I will try Cables and Connectors in Newington on Monday.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I measured both devices and cionclude the 25 mm connector is needed. The one I bought actually fits but the hole for the inner plig doea not. I guess thats a safety mechanism. Now comes the hardee part, waiting 4 days for Amazon to ship the new one. Ugh!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube