add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Bronze over Platinum

Silvrash
  • 3 months ago

Building my first pc and only thing I'm missing Is the PSU and GPU, now I only need to decide what psu I need, planning to go with a seasonic Bronze 620W PSU but not sure if it's sufficient enough or should I upgrade to a seasonic Focus+ Platinum 650W? What do you guys think is more worth it with this two?

Here's my build setup Rtx 2060 super RYZEN 5 3600 B450I MSI MOBO CORSAIR 16GB RAM A CPU AIR COOLER 4X 120 MM FANS 2X SSD

thanksssss

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm not sure if links to other forums are allowed, but here goes.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40/

I can see the confusion surrounding brands, and which model to get. Truth is most brands make psu's that run from great to meh. Like said, platinum is a luxury and not needed, but if you wanted to splurge that is a good unit.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks man, already got mine and glad to see it's and A tier PSU lol

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not sure if links to other forums are allowed, but here goes.

lol this forum isn't Toms

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

How much is the price jump? The Platinum one might cut your electricity bill, but not by much.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

$79 for the 620 bronze and $116 for the 650 platinum, so you think getting a bronze is worth it or can handle my build?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

With current prices how they are the platinum is really a good deal.

You don't need a platinum PSU though and could save some money going with a gold rated unit. There are a few 650W quality units for under $100, such as the EVGA G3 if you don't mind a MIR or the G1+ if you do.

Can't go wrong either way. Any of the above units listed is vastly superior to the old bronze unit and worth paying a little extra for.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

G1+ for $99 is terrible. It's an outdated Active Clamp unit, and even the Corsair CX would be higher in quality compared to it.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

The G1+ is still a well-reviewed unit with good build quality. Jonnyguru rated them fairly highly, for example. Since my comment was written though many prices have changed; notably the G3 is now only $105 without MIR.

The CX series are good units. Far better than the ancient Seasonic OP mentioned. The downside right now is how crazy PSU prices are getting; the 550w CXM is about the same price as the Prime Ultra Gold at the time of this comment.

I miss $50 TXMs and $80 G3s and the like. Can we get those prices back? :(

• 3 months ago
  • 0 points

Jonnyguru rated them fairly highly, for example.

Oklahoma Wolf aka Jeremy rated the G1+ pretty high. NOT Jonnyguru himself.

Besides, he only scores based on what he tests. And he only tests voltage regulation, ripple, and transients. No protections, no in-depth component analysis like Aris @ Tom's Hardware/Techpowerup for example, no mention of the Active Clamp primary topology. That's because the ratings are ONLY based on PERFORMANCE, not QUALITY.

I bet if you asked Jonnyguru himself on whether the CX or G1+ was better, he would say CX, as would anyone else who knows what they're talking about.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

$80 is pure robbery for a M12II/S12II. I wouldn't pay anymore than ~$30 for it. Its a low end PSU. Its like buying a GTX 1650 for like $300 instead of a RTX 2060 or something.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

the seasonic Bronze 620W is old and not recommended. The Seasonic platinum is alot better but what is you budget for this psu?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I see so bronze is not recommend,

I can buy the bronze now, but not sure if I should save for 1 more month to buy the Platinum.

Thanks man I'll probably get the Platinum, also for future proofing seems good for it

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

There are good bronze psu's like https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Q7L7YJ/corsair-cx-2017-450w-80-bronze-certified-atx-power-supply-cp-9020120-na but the one you are talking about i think this one https://pcpartpicker.com/product/nB3RsY/seasonic-power-supply-s12ii620bronze is not that good.

So may i ask what your budget is for this psu then i can recommend one like that corsair cx450 i linked to.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Efficiency has nothing to do with how good or bad a PSU. Only build quality and performance means build quality and performance. Efficiency means just that, efficiency and nothing else. Outside of extremes it really doesn't even matter then since the differences are like ~2% for something that will cost like ~$8 a month to run. Plus efficiency ratings themselves are meaningless when it comes to efficiency. 80 plus tests at room temperature which isn't realistic and units like the CX can be under rated, it does sliver and nearly gold (thanks to using a LLC).

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

What is the GPU you plan to get?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Oops forgot to put it, a RTX 2060 super

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Then go gold. a TXM would work.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Why you want to buy Platinum rated PSU?

There is no point of doing that. Unless your computer does perform calculations 24/7.

There are very good quality Gold rated PSUs out there.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I know I’m going off topic but if you’re going for a AMD core (cpu) I would suggest the Ryzen 7 2700x. As it is a lot better and cheaper than the Ryzen 5 3600. The 7 preforms a lot better for around $30-$40 less. It is on sale on amazon at the moment if you’d like to check that out. Sorry for the off-topic answer.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

No prob man thanks for the suggestion, ill check it out

[comment deleted]
  • 3 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks man, which brand do you recommend for a good bronze rated one?

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

None. Do not choose by brand. Brand is meaningless since most manufacturers (so not Logsyis, etc) have high end units, low end units, and stuff in between. You need to pick a exact model instead.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Nice explanation man, thanks for the info

[comment deleted]
  • 3 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks man

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube