add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Rosewill Tachyon 1200W

TheShadowGuy

1 month ago

https://www.newegg.com/rosewill-tachyon-1200-tachyon-series-1200w/p/N82E16817182417?item=N82E16817182417

This thing is on sale for dirt cheap.

As far as I can find, the rest of the series was based on Super Flowers Golden King series but this one... Might be the original Leadex series? It didn't come out until earlier this year, so maybe some difficulty with Sirtec who supplied their other high power PSUs at the time delayed it?

Anyone have more info? It may actually be a good deal given current pricing... for those five people out there who want to run dual overclocked Vega 64s or something.

I mainly want to know for curiosity's sake haha.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 3 points

Rosewill Tachyon 1200W uses a very fresh platform by Sirfa, also used in Green GP1050B-OCDG, GP1200B-OCDG and GP1350B-OCDG. It looks like this: https://green.ir/assets/filemanager/userfiles/green/PSU/OCDG/GP1200B-OCDG/OCDG_Digitally_PSU_07.jpg

As you can see it's uses a half-bridge or full-bridge primary side topology with an LLC resonant converter, synchronous rectification and DC-DC converters on the secondary side, places +12V MOSFETs on the underside of the main PCB, uses wireless power transfer from the mainboard to the modular board and busbars, and vsense wires on the 24pin connector for better load regulation.

So in terms of design, it uses similarly high end technology as other high end PSUs like Corsair HX Platinum and the like.

There's no tests of this platform yet though, so you don't know how loud it is, what are the protection trip points and whether it has any problems.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Quite fascinating. Seems to check the boxes, but without reviews to confirm. And the fan could be a jet engine for all we know. Probably was planned during the crypto boom and just brought to market a bit too late to be truly relevant.... this thing would have sold pretty well if individual crypto mining was still a popular thing.

When it was on sale for $80 though, probably would have been worth a chance if someone could have actually used such a beefy unit.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yea exactly, there's no reviews of any flavour of this internal design - Rosewill's, Green's, or High Power's themselves. It looks great internally and in principles, but there's no telling how it actually behaves unfortunately.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It didn't come out until earlier this year

No that's an old PSU. Good but old, and that's why it's so cheap.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

No that's an old PSU. Good but old

What he said is correct, Rosewill Tachyon 1200 was released early 2019. What makes you think that's an old PSU?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Save for the extra fanless switch, yes. Is this a trick question, or something? :)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

What saving for an extra switch? lol

That picture with that PSU you posted, has nothing in common with the unit that Newegg sells.

https://imgur.com/lxQMjMl

Where is the freaking second rear switch on Newegg's PSU?

Or do you think they added it for fun!

So let's say I'm dumb.

I saw a unit that comes most probably with two rear switches out of the Box.

Can you explain why the unit from Newegg has only one rear switch?

And where is the proof that this unit is a Tachyon one?

That picture you posted doesn't tell anything.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

What saving for an extra switch? lol

"Save for" means "except".
Me saying "Save for the extra fanless switch, yes" means "they look the same, except for the extra fanless switch" :)

I'm not sure at the first time you understood what the second switch is for, since you keep calling it "second rear switch" and "two rear switches". I'll explain. The two rear switches on Green's version of this PSU do not serve the same purpose. The smaller switch is just a fanless switch, i.e. a switch allowing you to toggle semi-passive fan operation on or off. It has nothing to do with the internal platform of a PSU, and brands can choose to include it or not.

First example I can remember off the top of my head is the case of Corsair HX Platinum and RMx series - these two use the same platform inside, which I hope is known to you. The HX Platinum series includes a little switch to toggle the fanless mode, while the RMx series does not - CWT made it optional for vendors to include the switch or not.

The exact situation happens with our case here, with Sirfa's platform used in this Rosewill Tachyon and in the Green 1200 thingy. The platform itself, codenamed "HPV" internally, gives vendors an option to incorporate a fanless mode toggle into the case. The fan controller takes input from the little switch on the rear. If the vendor opts for no switch, the fanless operation is either always automatic, or off altogether.

Sirfa's (the factory who manufactures this platform) parent company, High Power, also sells this design under their own name: as the Astro PT APT-1200F model. When they sell it under their own name, they don't have the little fanless switch either - they chose not to include it to reduce the price, just like Rosewill.
Green however, chose to go with the switch for their GP1200B-OCDG. Either way, I must stress this again - this has nothing to do with the platform, i.e. the internal design of the power supply. All those power supplies are internally the same.

With that much said, I hope I sufficiently explained the purpose and origins of that little switch which piqued your curiosity :)

Oh, and the picture link I included is to visualize and go over the technology used in the PSUs - the topologies, components and other things I'm talking about in that section. It is not what I used to determine they use the same design - the picture is the effect of my efforts to determine that. I saw the Rosewill - checked which platform it uses inside - got the platform - checked what other PSUs use this platform - got the Green - and got an internal picture of the Green.
Besides that, I don't often have to use the "don't you know who I am" argument, but I guess it may be necessary here. I get it, sometimes I don't look at forum nicknames either. I am the founder of https://www.orionpsudb.com/. The database of power supply platforms. Every time you hear someone speak about "This PSU uses that platform" or "those two PSUs are actually the same PSU inside", chances are the source is my site. I DO have many insider resources which allow me to see what exactly leaves each PSU factory product lines and which label it gets on the side - Rosewill's, Green's, Corsair's, NZXT's or whoever's. I help several renowned (some of those considered the best) reviewers write their PSU articles in the regard of researching the factory origins of a given PSU or the name of the platform it uses. Me saying Rosewill and Green are the same internally isn't my opinion, or something I just "guessed" based on their looks, or a wet dream I had. I simply checked it and I know for a fact.

Oh, and even though the Rosewill photos are pretty dark, you can still see some of the platform's features through the rear vent. See the huge shielded APFC coil? See the two bridge rectifiers sandwiching the primary heatsink? See the very characteristic, yellow, cylindrical X capacitor (Sirfa's hallmark!)? Or the common mode choke and two Y caps? Cross-reference them with the photo of Sirfa HPV platform in the Green brand PSU and share your conclusions :)

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube