add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Damaged something in my PSU during cleanup

Synt29

1 month ago

Hey guys. I tried to open my PSU to clean it but during the process I damaged a wire.

https://ibb.co/QcyrzDD

I'm fairly new to building and I don't know what this is. What should I do?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Looks like a grounding wire. You'll want to repair it one way or another: solder back onto the connector, solder to an extra bit of wire with a good connector on its end, that sort of thing.

It will probably run without the grounding connection but it would be potentially unsafe.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Is that an EVGA PSU. It looks that way anyway.

If the wire is green-yellow colored it could be the wire from the main switch.

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/FJAFBk47JLv2X9jcoQQssd-650-80.jpg

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

İt looks like a ground wire. I suggest dont run your rig without restoring that broken connection. It will run without issues, but in case of any electrical leakage to the chasis, it will be fatal to anyone give it a touch to the computer case, that wire is there for a reason, if you know how to handle equipment with high voltage electricity, you already know the answer;fix it ASAP. If you dont, you should not be able to open the inside of the PSU at first place. Please dont use that PSU without restoring that ground cable, have a safe day :)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

You can replace that piece from home depot or whatever hardware store. Easy fix.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube