add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Corsair RMx (2018) vs Corsair RM (2019) PSU

Sturmovik
  • 2 months ago

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Why do you need 850W?

That's 2080TI SLI + 9900K overclocked level.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Im in the process of upgrading my build.. for 4k video editing.. gaming & streaming..

and here are some parts that Im getting so far.. so I think I should have at least 850w PSU .. and thats how much I usually try to get anyways .

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor $493.84 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard $194.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $144.99 @ Newegg
Storage Intel 660p Series 2.048 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $189.99 @ B&H
Power Supply Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $118.73 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1142.53
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-23 13:13 EST-0500
  • 2 months ago
  • 1 point

It would help (a lot) if you named your GPU.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

its EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB ( for now.. with future upgrade for something better )

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/KqRFf7/evga-geforce-gtx-1060-3gb-ssc-gaming-video-card-06g-p4-6264-kr

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you plan to upgrade while having this build?

For now 650W is what you would need. (uses 364W)

So, anything up to a 5700XT/2080 wouldn't require a PSU change. Even then, 750W is still plenty.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes I will change GPU down the line ... I guess I can set down for 750W one unit.. any suggestions for a good one ?

[comment deleted]
  • 2 months ago
  • 1 point

When you say slow... what speeds you refer to ?

[comment deleted]
  • 2 months ago
  • 2 points

I see... it is a bit slower.. but in real world it is not that noticeable and for the price I feel like can't beat that..

https://youtu.be/GlGjd1GZWdo?t=1021

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

The major differences with the rm850 are the less expensive bulk and filtering capacitors and the Hong Hua fan, instead of the proven NR135L which is used in all RMx units.

review https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm650-power-supply,6187-6.html

rmx is a tiny bit better but not by much.

You also don't need 850W for your build a 550W would be plenty even if you would change that gtx 1060 for a rtx 2080ti but its your call if you really want a 850w psu for whatever reason.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Well any alternative suggestions then ? to the PSU ?
even thought I feel like never hurt to have a bit extra juice ))

I remember I build one PC once and only put 450watt PSU into it.. and then when did hard upgrade had to get new PSU.. but that was like few years ago ..

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

You can't go wrong with the psu's you listed or the 550W version of those.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

TXM is also better than RM in build quality.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe you are talking about the old RM since the new RM is close to the same quality as the RMx.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean...

https://i.imgur.com/EBvbefF.png

But if you have any other better sources that prove otherwise, and don't take things out of context that would be great :D

Or you can explain to me why the RM is better than the TXm and close to RMx quality.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I always believed that RMx was number 1 then RM and then the TX-M in order of overall performance.

I knew the TX-M was a good psu but i guess i need to reread those reviews again.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Either will work and either might fail. The overkill should make less noise.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright.. thank you

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Higher wattage PSUs tend to output the same or more noise compared to lower wattage PSUs.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Not under the same load no they do not. you put 500 watts load on a 650 watt power supply and the noise is much more than a 500 watt load on a 850 watt PSU.

Look at the 500 watt loan in the 650 RMX vs the 850 RM. 25dba vs 17dba. So just to be blunt you have no clue what your talking about.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm550x-power-supply,4484-5.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm850-power-supply,6127-2.html

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

First off, they're two different PSUs. One is the RMx, and one is the RM.

Secondly, the noise graph of the 550W RMx clearly states that the noise level at 500W load is <25 dBa, NOT 25 dBa. All that meant was that Aris's sound meter at the time of RMx testing wasn't sensitive enough to detect dBa under 25, NOT that the RMx 550W was constantly at 25 dBa in its operation.

So maybe, you should learn how to read graphs before replying with bold statements like

you have no clue what your talking about.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The graph clearly shows the RMX was louder! and multi rails is in no way better, I stick with my original statement.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Idk if you're trolling, or illiterate, but I see there's no use commenting. I'm sorry for wasting both of our times.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Unless you plan on using Cinema4D with the Octane plugin for multi-GPU rendering or something, you don't need 850W ever. Even 750W is higher than needed outside some overclocked Threadripper type builds.

This is one of the best 650w PSU deals right now after rebate.

You can also consider the lower wattages of Corsair RMx, or depending on price fluctuations, the EVGA G3, Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold/Focus Plus Gold are good as well.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

the MIR never seems to work for me.. lol but I am considering lookint at 650w units

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Keep the RM 850 watt having extra power never hurts. It's nice to know for 10 more bucks you will never need to upgrade the PSU again no matter what you buy to upgrade the PC with.

Your first thoughts were right this site is full of the buy this not that people or you need nothing near that well true you could save 10 bucks and get less watts but why? It really sux to upgrade a PC and have to buy another power supply.

As you can see in this load test the RM is very efficient at lower loads,

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm850-power-supply,6127-2.html

Buy the RMX if you wish it's still good also.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

having extra power never hurts.

Hurts your wallet :D

Also, need I not mention the high wattage single rail "problem"?

well true you could save 10 bucks

More like 40, considering that the Enermax Revolution D.F. 650W is $80 without MIR.

It really sux to upgrade a PC and have to buy another power supply.

I agree, but the main reason people are going to be upgrading is because of aging in general and not because of wattage. Remember, even a 9900K + 2080TI overclocked and full load have a hard time consuming 500W, and "in the future" if there exists another very high end 295x2, it also probably has a high price and you'll be much better off buying a high end PSU AT THAT TIME compared to getting one now.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Also, need I not mention the high wattage single rail "problem"?

What problem?

And no that is not the only reason to buy a bigger PSU. besides it running with less noise because it's not under as much load it also is running cooler so the PSU should last a lot longer heat kills the PSU.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube