add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Noctua nh-d15 or nh-u12s for ryzen 3900x?

cjchuns

1 month ago

My build is for audio production and I just got the amd ryzen 3900x. I just received in the mail my chromax black noctua nh d15. I was wondering if I need the extra performance from the nh d15, or would I be able to save a little money and still get good performance from the noctua nh u12s. Any suggestions anyone?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The U12S is plenty of cooler for a 3900X. The NH-D15 will cool a few degrees better under the highest loads.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yes the Noctua NH-U12S would be a good option too.

And for that amount of money or even cheaper, there are other very good air cooler options too, like:

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/4TCrxr,8GBrxr,YsHRsY,GTCFf7/

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I might consider overclocking in the future so maybe I should get the d15 . I saw an article or video that said the u12s would be sufficient for light of. Thoughts?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Overclocking the Ryzen 3000's is mostly an exercise in futility, by all reports. Short of active cooling measures (liquid nitrogen, refrigerated water, etc), you don't get much more than what the built-in clock boosts will get you. Feel free, but I don't think moving to the D15 will make any real difference in overclock headroom; you'll need a tens-of-degrees difference in cooling capacity, not a few-degrees which is what you'll see with the D15 vs U12S.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Awesome! Thanks for the advice. I'm new to the pc building game, so this is much appreciated. For the d15, is it completely necessary to use both fans?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

With one fan, you basically you get an NH-D15S. :-) It's not essential to use both fans.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yeah what kschendel stated below stands. Overclocking headroom on a Ryzen is very small if any.

And provided the power plan of the processor will boost the clocks over 4.0GHz you don't need a massive air cooler either.

So for saving some money get the U12S or even one of the coolers i suggested above.

Now if you have received your D15 already (I just received in the mail my Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK) then just use that instead.

From a cooler perspective, that's the best you can get right now from Noctua. :)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the advice! What's your thoughts on only using one of the fans from the d15?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The D15 would still be capable to cool an 3900X even with one fan.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube