add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Do I need a new power supply...?

n7girl
  • 3 months ago

So I built this computer in April 2019, and I was able to get the psu for $35.00. But now I am looking at upgrading my graphics card and I am not sure if I should have gone with a bigger power supply, especially considering the upgrade path I've given myself. And now it seems that power supplies are more expensive than when I built.

Thoughts?

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $167.25 @ shopRBC
Motherboard ASRock X470 Master SLI/AC ATX AM4 Motherboard $155.50 @ Vuugo
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $105.99 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $79.98 @ Amazon Canada
Video Card Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8 GB NITRO+ Video Card $613.21 @ Amazon Canada
Case Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case $59.99 @ Amazon Canada
Power Supply EVGA BR 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $61.99 @ Newegg Canada
Case Fan Corsair AF140 LED (2018) White 2-Pack 62 CFM 140 mm Fans $29.99 @ Amazon Canada
Monitor MSI Optix MAG241C 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor $294.99 @ PC-Canada
Keyboard Logitech G513 Carbon Wired Gaming Keyboard $99.99 @ Amazon Canada
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1708.88
Mail-in rebates -$40.00
Total $1668.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-30 18:52 EST-0500

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 3 points

I would say yes since you did sorta cheap out on the PSU. The Evga BR has no reviews out for it so no one has any idea exactly how good or more likely bad it is. All we really do know is that it is rated for 30C which is a sign that it is a low end unit.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

30C

That's awful. D:

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Depends on your specific upgrades ... which GPUs are you looking at upgrading to? And do you overclock CPU? Do you overclock GPU?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Great comments guys, thanks.

I am considering somewhere around a 5700, or 2060. Mostly depending on price and opportunity. I would love a 2080 obviously, who wouldn't, but gotta keep the budget in mind lol.

The CPU is not overclocked, and I am a noob, so I doubt I will be playing with that much after my last attempt.

I do realize my monitor could handle a lot more, but it was a gift (an amazing one) so I am not trying to achieve 144 fps gaming. The games I love are just very graphically demanding, and I don't like to compromise with the settings. The 580 handles almost everything pretty well so far, but I know it won't for much longer at the settings I want to play at.

My biggest annoyance currently is how loud the graphics card gets when it is fully utilized. It was a used mining card, and 90% of the time is great. DA Inquisition is loud though.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, the gpu is overclocked to 1430 with a power limit increase of 50%.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Looking at current Canadian PSU pricing made me a bit queasy.

This is probably your best bet right now for something cheap after rebate. It's a good unit and should handle your planned upgrades with no issues. Units like the Corsair RMx or Seasonic Focus Plus Gold seem to be over CAD$100.

The CX 550w and a Sapphire Pulse 5700 would be just over CAD$500 all said and done.

I wouldn't worry about CPU overclocking (especially with the stock cooler) but I would at least recommend trying to mess with your RAM. XMP at the very least, and from there tightening up your timings can improve performance a bit for your effort.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I know, right? It's awful. A lot of the pricing is actually. But thanks for the recommendation!

• 3 months ago
  • 0 points

You might. Depends on the video card and how you are pushing the CPU. Wierdly enough, the motherboard appears to draw more than the CPU (presumably CPU voltage regulator inefficiency and high end 470 features). If you are significantly overclocking the CPU (it is listed as using only 65W), then that will cut into your wattage headroom.

On the other hand, the RX580 is using about half of your power consumption already. You should be able to drop in a GPU eating a bit less than 300W without issue (but don't overclock the CPU if you do).

The real kicker is your monitor: you might find that getting anywhere near 144fps needs a lot of CPU power, and thus a bunch of Watts going to the CPU.

Checking "TDP" (not what you need, but easily available) in video cards: 2060 RTX (includes super) 175W 2070 RTX 185W 2070 super 215W 2080 215W 2080 super 250W

5700 180W 5700XT 225W

Vega56 210W

Looks like everything this side of a 2080 super can fit into your system (unless you overclock it). Can't say anything about a "future more powerful AMD" card, as that will likely draw more than a 2080 super, but I suspect that the power supply won't be a significant part of the upgrade budget...

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I wouldn't worry too much about the CPU; I doubt that you can convince a 2600 to draw much more than 80-90 watts no matter what you do to it short of liquid nitrogen. I think you're OK short of a 2080 Ti, with the 2080 Super being very marginal.

[comment deleted]
  • 3 months ago
  • 1 point

What counts is actual power draw under expected load conditions. PSU recommendations are usually worst case plus a giant fudge factor to allow for who-knows-what in the rest of the build. I’d read some reviews for real world power draws and work from that.

[comment deleted]
  • 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I wouldn’t argue if this were a build list with the PSU to be purchased. The question is whether the existing PSU will handle it safely, and while not ideal, the answer is yes for most GPUs.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube