add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

CPU Cooler for AMD Ryzen 3700x - Is stock cooler fine or upgrade?

ChellGuy
  • 2 months ago

Just purchased all of my components. I ordered a Ryzen 3700x and keep reading the stock CPU cooler is fine. But if not, what cooler would you guys recommend? I was thinking about the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo as I have had this one before and it did a fine job.

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Stock coolers cost performance on everything currently.

If you are fine giving up that performance use the stock cooler.

But giving how much more your spending to get a 3700X over something like a 2700X the extra $25-$45 for a cooler running, quieter, faster system is a no brainer.

If you can't afford that little extra then you really shouldn't be spending on a 3700X and living beyond your means.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Which cooler would you go with?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Scythe Mugan 5, Fuma 2, or any of the Thermalright Macho series for upper end.

Even something like a Deepcool Gammaxx 400 is a decent upgrade over the Wraith Prism.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Thermalright SBM 120 on the lower end. It's tricky to find in the US (check out Nan's Gaming Gear), and it's a PITA to install, but I am hard pressed to think of a cooler that will beat it for performance at price.

I haven't tried any of them myself, but I think the Arctic Freezer 34 variations (Esports, duo, etc etc) have worked pretty well for some folks and the price is OK.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

The stock cooler functions. It looks pretty. But it will run a bit hot and loud, and due to boosting behavior you would see slightly better performance out of an upgrade.

The Hyper 212 Evo is a bit expensive for what it is; I think the black RGB version was on sale not long ago though if you prioritize aesthetics. The Deepcool 400 Gammaxx is a cheaper baseline. If you want something beefier that will keep it cool even under full load, Scythe's Mugen 5 rev B/Fuma 2, Thermaright's Macho Rev B, be quiet!'s Dark Rock Pro 4 are all solid options; there's a number of others as well depending on budget (Macho Direct, big AiO if you wanted, etc).

Personally, I wanted pretty lights so I used the stock cooler at first but wasn't happy with the high temps and jet engine noise. I may have had a particularly bad example, so your mileage may vary. I'm upgrading to a Silverstone PF240 because pretty lights.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube