add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Will Desktop Ice Lake CPU's fit in Coffee Lake CPU sockets?

Jrpg_Guy

1 month ago

Just ordered a decently spec'ed Alienware Aurora R9, but I'm probably gonna want to upgrade it in the future. Upgrading the GPU wont be an issue (or so I believe), but I want to know if I'll be able to upgrade to the 10th gen of intel CPU's

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Nope.

Next generation is the last for AM4 so even on the other side it isn't any better really.

Time has a way of erasing upgrade potential.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Well I guess I wont be upgrading the CPU then

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I would not hold your breath for Ice Lake. From what I have read the lower tier Intel models i3/i5 get a nice bump while i7/i9 we talking 5-7% at most. In context if you have the latest i7 or i9 Ice Lake is looking like a very good chipset to sit it out. Nothing is stopping you using the same case and gear and switching out for an AMD chipset. It is going to take Intel a couple of years to get up to speed, R&D takes time. In any case I see no reason why a modern i7 or i9 will not cope with the demands of tomorrow. The only thing that will happen is they will lose their status to AMD as "top dogs for gaming" if they have not lost already. Being in second or third place does not equate to bad, this is not a 100m sprint.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

i believe all 4 skews (i3, i5 so on) will all be getting an extra 2 cores this generation, so id expect to see more of a performance boost then 5-7%

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

More likely Intel will reenable Hyperthreading and match AMD thread for thread keeping the current pricing structure.

That puts their locked 4/6/8-cored models at or cheaper then AMD, with overclocking models pulling a small premium but unlike AMD having significant headroom for tuning.

Even looking at the motherboard side of things by the time you invest in one of the preferred B450 boards your at Intel "Z" series entry level.

It makes for a surprisingly level playing field.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Might want to double check that yourself since it's agreeing with my post above.

I3 4c/8t

I5 6c/12t

I7 8c/16t

I9 10c/20t

That a 10 core I9 part was coming from Intel has been known for well over a year so is nothing new.

As for the I3/I5/I7 no changes other then Hyperthreading being enabled since they are already 4/6/8 cored parts just no Hyperthreading for the last generation or two.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

what? thats what i said. you didnt mention the 10 core i9 and the supposed performance gains are upwards of 30%... not 5-7%

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Good point

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube