add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

550W 80+ White ofr 1650 Super

TheRCMKid
  • 3 months ago

As of recent I've bought the 1650 Super (which recommends a 350W PSU) and currently, I've got a Cooler Master MWE 550W 80+ W (i think its the 230v version) and wanting to know if it's good enough for it, or do I need a upgrade (to a 80+ bronze).

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

It should run OK (especially if you've already got the unit), but if you intend on getting a beefier unit, you might want to consider this

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3F2rxr/corsair-cx-2017-550w-80-bronze-certified-atx-power-supply-cp-9020122-na

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi,
Power supply efficiency has no effect on anything connected to it, and isn't related to quality or what components you can connect to it at all.

Cooler Master MWE 550W 230V 80+ Standard is low quality and group regulated, which means it wasn't made to work with modern components. It may work ok with a weak graphics card like 1650 Super, but it's more suitable for replacing an old PSU in an old pre-built Dell computer with a Pentium with integrated graphics, and not a gaming PC at all.

Simce it's also 230V only, you may also have sudden shutdowns in case of a brownout in your electrical circuit, or it may even die or blow up because the primary side components are rated at only half the current of a proper full range PSU.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

GPU power recommendations are completely useless, as they don't know what the rest of the system will be, and therefore pile a gigantic fudge factor on top of what the GPU actually uses. You need the rest of the parts list to make a decision on wattage.

If you just need something to get you going while you save up for a better PSU, the MWE is OK as long as it hasn't been sitting idle in a box for several years. (Electrolytic capacitors can dry out.) If you can get a better PSU now, I would; the MWE was just OK in its day and newer PSU designs are much better.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Or if budget is a little tight, the 450W version ImperiousBattlestar mentioned is possible for $54, and could be used up to a 1660 Ti with no issues.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

It works up to a 2060 super with no issues.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube