add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cpu upgrade.

BigT82
  • 1 month ago

Howdy all,

Deciding between a Ryzen 3700x or i7 9700k for a gaming/soon to be streaming machine.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Gaming and streaming, the Ryzen 3700X is the better choice. More threads for better streaming support. Gaming performance is very close to even with the i7-9700K pulling just ahead, but not enough to make a difference.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Streaming using CPU resources neither are great options.

2700X handles multiple workloads better because of the new preferred cores being prioritized by Windows on 3000 series.

If your going to spend more then a 2700X just jump to a 3900X which even then is arguably better then the 2700X because it tends to drop more frames when pushed hard.

Streaming using the GPU encoding/NVENC/RELIVE.

CPU matters only for frame rate delivery so 1600af/2600/2600X are probably the best bang for the buck and put the extra into a better graphics card and aftermarket cooling for the CPU.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The current pc I'm using now is just for gaming - it's a i7 6700k oced to 4.5ghz but it's just not cutting it in newer AAA games and with the choice to look at starting to stream some games I think it's high time for an upgrade.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

What titles and are you using the CPU to handle the streaming workload or using the GPU?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I haven't started streaming yet.

It's a big reason why I'm finally doing an upgrade.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Depends really on how you want to run it.

A little research on your end would help that out.

If you use the GPU then you're probably set already just need to use the right software NVENC option in OBS(I forgetthe AMD equivalent), ReLive in AMD drivers, Share/Shadowplay in GeForce, or a GPU upgrade to one of the newer GTX/RTX models.

If you want to do CPU then it's more a matter of budget to upgrade.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

it's a i7 6700k oced to 4.5ghz but it's just not cutting it in newer AAA games

My wife has a PC with i7-7700K and it is yet to hit the wall in a game and she plays all the newest stuff like Outer Worlds, Red Dead Redemption 2 and so on. The 7700K and 6700K are nearly equal so it is a surprise your system is not performing. Make sure there is no problem because when you upgrade you will want to sell this PC (or at least the motherboard+CPU+Ram). The last thing you want is someone to file a SNAD via Paypal once they assemble and struggle to run modern games.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Gaming and Steaming I would say the Ryzen 7 2700X here. It will probably hang 10 with a 3700X once you start pushing all the cores and hyperthreading. Advantage of the 2700X is much lower price, disadvantage is it is an older CPU on older chipset.

Suggestions for Ryzen 9 3900X also bring in the i9-9900KS at around the same budget. I recently bought and sold the Ryzen 9 3900X I was very interested to find that my lowly i7-8086K and it's overclock comfortably ran games at several fps to 10's of fps higher than the 3900X. This without streaming though.

Given how well the 8086K performs in gaming the i9-9900KS might be worth a look here. It's reputation as best performing CPU for gaming might not be purely speculative/fanboyism given what I experienced with an 8086K.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

You might want to look at this thread. People are saying the 2700 is actually better than the 3700 because of scheduling.

https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/339155-cpu-help

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I'd lean towards focusing on GPU based streaming such as using the NVENC encoder.

The 3700x vs 9700k vs 2700x debate is a bit complicated. The 2700x is likely the best when CPU streaming, from what little I've seen of benchmarks due to changes to Windows scheduling and core reporting with the 3000 series. The 9700k would likely be best for strictly gaming, but is on a dead platform and lacks hyperthreading if you wanted to do CPU based streaming. The 3700x is kind of in between, can push higher framerates than the 2700x but suffers a bit in CPU streaming. Both the 2700x and 3700x can be put on an AM4 motherboard and upgraded in the future; the 3950x at least exists now and it appears the 4000 series will also use the same platform. The 9700k's upgrade path is capped at the 9900k for sure.

The 2700x is also the cheapest option; it was recently on sale as low as $150. The 9700k and 3700x are similar in price, although the 3700x has a small price advantage in its stock cooler that has a secondary market (or can be used even if it isn't my preference) and the ability to use cheaper B450 motherboards.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube