add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

CPU thermal paste question

Datplatypuswag
  • 2 months ago

So I'm building my first computer right now, I had to flip the cpu cooler and I noticed the thermal paste is spilling out the side. It's not running down the the cpu or falling on the mother board. What should I do? Is it safe to just scoop it up with my finger and wash it off, should I take the cooler off again and try to scoop up the paste and re use it?

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

If it's just extra paste squeezed out, you can carefully wipe it off. Excess paste can sometimes cause high temps, depending on how the cooler is mounted, so I'd keep an eye on temps when you start it up. If they seem unusually high, try remounting the cooler with less paste.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube