add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help Me Decide?

JCMsergox
  • 1 month ago

Howdy Y'all,

I'm set to build a new PC in the next few weeks. This PC will be used for the following;

• Gaming
  • Twitch/Mixer Streaming (720p60, 3000 Bitrate)
  • General Use
  • Hosting a 24/7 Minecraft Server

I've been debating on a CPU choice for my the build. As of now, I have a Ryzen 1700 that has served me quite well. I could carry it over from my current build, or I could pick up a brand new 3900X. I'm wondering if anyone here would have a recommendation on which path to take, keeping the 1700 or upgrading to the 3900X. The Minecraft server, although being 24/7 hosted, is only a vanilla SMP Spigot server running minimal server packs (Sethome, TPA, Dynmap are the only 3) with usually under 10 people on it, so it is, by comparison to most, a low-intensity server. I know that MC Servers are RAM eating as well, which is why I'll be using 32GB of DDR4.

Would Gaming/Streaming while hosting the Minecraft server be too much for the 1700?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

i think it makes no sense to upgrade your 1700

8 cores and 16 treads will still handle the tons of task you mentioned

sure the newer 3000 series have better memory support and faster IPC

if you have a golden chip, a small OC and you have a good CPU even with a CM 212 Hyper cooler

i say hold off upgrading until 2021 when AMD drops support of the AM4 socket by end 2020

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Why don't you just build a server for Minecraft say on a 1500X/1600 "AF", and keep the 1700 for a dedicated streaming/gaming PC.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I had it like that before. I'd like to get it all in one package for when I go off to Uni soon.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

For Gaming, Streaming, and hosting a server on a single setup.

I would be looking more at a HEDT setup for quad-channel memory access.

Trying to do that all on a dual-channel consumer platform is asking to run into memory bandwidth issues on a platform that already has those.

It would be a case of not needing the core count something like X299/X399 offers, but needing the platforms memory bandwidth.

You can get the same core count but including motherboard+cooler for around the same price as a 3900X.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Threadripper 1920X 3.5 GHz 12-Core Processor $199.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12S TR4-SP3 54.97 CFM CPU Cooler $69.95 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock X399 Phantom Gaming 6 ATX sTR4 Motherboard $243.98 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $513.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-09 18:43 EST-0500

Upgrade you memory as planned and that should hold you over for quite awhile.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

So going with this setup would be the better solution for my needed tasks?

Explain to me the difference in memory bandwidth please, I’m a little confused. I was already going to run Quad channel RAM sticks with the new setup running a 1700. Is that not supported?

My ram is also running at 2400. I am wanting to overclock it to around 3000.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

So going with this setup would be the better solution for my needed tasks?

In my opinion Yes.

Explain to me the difference in memory bandwidth please, I’m a little confused. I was already going to run Quad channel RAM sticks with the new setup running a 1700. Is that not supported?

1700 only allows dual channel mode with up to two DIMM per channel across two channels.

Quad-channel like the X299/X399/TRX40 support up to two DIMM per channel across four channels.

You will be using both a lot of memory and running multiple programs that use memory between gaming, the streaming software, and the server.

DDR4 already faces needing dual channel just for gaming in many titles or there is performance loss.

Like I posted above it isn't about the cores the platform offers, I think you'll run out of memory bandwidth on the AM4 platform and gameplay, stream quality, and server performance will be impacted before you run out of CPU performance.

You could probably even drop to a 1900X and save $50 from the above but from my point of view the 50% more cores for 33% more money is worth it.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I researched it a bit more. So Quad channel with max speeds on X399 is around 87.5 GiB/s. More quad channel speed is better for my applications?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I would think the 3900X would work fine a 10 man minecraft server is not that demanding I would be more worried about ISP bandwidth. You would have people logging into your PC game, playing a game, and streaming.

If you have room on your board you could get a dual Enet card.

If the motherboard supports it with a BIOS update the total price would be a lot less.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube