add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

CPU thermal paste

Cuy
  • 2 months ago

Just out of curiosity are there any sure-fire ways to tell if your CPU already has thermal paste? I know some have paste on it with a little plastic piece covering but I'd just like to know of any other giveaways.

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

The metal-to-metal contact between the CPU and the cooler cold plate is not perfect, and that's where the paste comes in. It's vaguely analogous to lubricating something like a piston in a cylinder, the piston and cylinder are close to perfect but not quite, and the lubricating oil prevents hot-spots. Similarly, the thermal paste fills in all the little airgaps making them much more thermally conductive.

If your CPU has no thermal paste, I'd expect excessive idle and load temperatures.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

not aware of any new cpu that comes with thermal paste already applied. some coolers do

• Cuy
  • submitter
  • 2 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah i meant cooler

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

The CPU never already has thermal paste on it it comes with the cooler.

• Cuy
  • submitter
  • 2 months ago
  • 1 point

thats what i meant lol

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

If they were no paste under your cooler it would overheat really quick.

• Cuy
  • submitter
  • 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I know but how do I tell what has paste Pre applied

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I mis-read your original question. CPU's never have paste pre-applied as far as I know. The CPU cooler might, in which case it would be obvious because there would be gunk on the cooler mating surface instead of a smooth shiny surface.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I do not know short of searching for the cpu and add 'thermal paste' at the end. "amd ryzen 3600 thermal paste" I know all of the AMD CPUs that have the Wrath cooler have thermal paste applied to the cooler, and I am pretty sure Intel's do as well.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube