add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Bottleneck AMD Rzyen 9 3950x?

mjohn50n

1 month ago

I have a question regarding a build I'm in process of. I stumbled across a bottleneck calculator and the data inputed came back bad... very bad. They didn't have a speck for the 3950x so I tried the 3900x and thread rippers. Anyway my question is, will running the new Ryzen 9 3950x work well with the NVIDA RTX 2080 Ti. The calculator is almost at 70% bottleneck unless I add a second 2080Ti. Is this accurate?

I should add I plan on using the ASUS Crosshair VIII with 64GB of DDR4 3600 Trident NEO memory.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It will run well. Bottleneck calculators are not really accurate, and I believe the reason it thinks there is a bottleneck is the 16 cores, which aren’t fully utilized in games.

Also, adding a second GPU to a setup is basically useless, as SLI is supported by very few games today.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Perfect! this is a workstation / gaming machine =)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Every component and every part of a system will offer a bottleneck given nothing scales infinitely. Question is always if the bottleneck will matter.

You should be researching benchmarks for the software that you will use and note how different CPU/RAM/GPU combo's stack up. Get the best you can afford and if there is a bottleneck according to a bottleneck calculator, too bad, you cannot get better than whats available. Even if you decided not to purchase, the next generation of products will have bottlenecks always, this is a guarantee. Dump that bottleneck calculator, it is useless. Go with real world results you can live with and purchase based on that.

If this is a gaming rig the bottleneck will be GPU because the CPU is way overkill for this application. Gaming is not that demanding on a CPU. Even old 4 cores like the 7700K can still handle this application. For gaming the GPU bottleneck is the right kind of bottleneck - means when a better GPU comes along, replace it and you have years of upgradeability.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

That's the performance summary on all related CPU tests that includes games and any kind of content related.

The 3950 would achieve even a higher scores.

https://tpucdn.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-3900x/images/relative-performance-cpu.png

And for getting a better perspective as bottlenecking concerns, we should look at the gaming performance values.

As a rule, the i9-9900K would be the fastest processor to make the comparison with and a i9-9900K does not bottleneck a RTX 2080Ti. That's also a fact. And even if it does to some extent, the i9-9990K is the fastest gaming processor so far anyway. So you can't do better than that, yet.

So let's see the comparisons then.

https://tpucdn.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-3900x/images/relative-performance-games-1920-1080.png

And according to these results, the 3950X would sit between a 3900X and a i9-9900K performance wise.

So at the end, just not pay attention on that particular bottleneck calculator. :)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the input, I'll definitely read up on the articles you provided. I thought I saw a Linus tech video claiming the 3950x slaps the 9900k almost out of existence, IDK...

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yes on content creation and similar stuff.

• 1 month ago
  • 0 points

Linus is an AMD shill and will say whoever and whatever pays the most. I used to like his channel but it is full of misinformation. The 3950x does perform better than 9900K on workstation tasks, 32 threads vs 16. The nearly 4 year old Threadripper with 16 cores also beats the 9900K on many of these tasks. Linus does not give perspective.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Check out these numbers, might make you rethink AMD for the all around winner..... https://www.techspot.com/review/1955-ryzen-3950x-vs-core-i9-9900ks-gaming/

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yes what's so strange about those results.

https://static.techspot.com/articles-info/1955/bench/Average.png

The i9-9900KS is marginally better on gaming than the 3950X.

And on content creation stuff the 3950X has the lead by far.

If you just wanna game and wanna have the highest fps numbers then get an i9-9900K and just overclock it.

And if you run content creation stuff, don't be surprised if a build with a 3950X accomplish the tasks in way lesser time.

You can't get both, obviously. lol So just choose wisely! :)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I think the 3950x is my best bet as well, thank you and the others here who have helped!

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

You're welcome!

Good luck with your build. :)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I agree, this will be a gaming setup but also used for heavy workloads consisting of virtual machines running hence the memory and number of cores. I don't think I can read anymore on gaming setups, I feel like my head is going to explode. This machine is (future proof) lol. Should be the last time I need to build or by another machine for some time... in theory =)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

...for heavy workloads consisting of virtual machines

Then the 3590X is the right processor for you!

You can't do better than that, unless you move to a Threadripper 3960X.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Bahaha if my pockets were only that deep =)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Stick with the 3950X. You will not find a similar priced 16C/32T processor that offers such great content creation performance.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Why does it want you to set it up in SLI/NVLink...

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

No Idea, but it shows the bottleneck go from 70% to 2%. I assume its the core count, as it will do the same using a higher core Intel processor as well.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Like a 7980XE?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

can't say for sure, I was just throwing processors at the calculator to see the differences.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube