add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What PSU for an MSI Pro Carbon ATX MOBO

Clowsy
  • 2 months ago

Hey everyone,

I'm about to start ordering parts and the only hesitation I had was about the PSU for my build below. PartPicker was giving me the message about the MOBO having one extra 4-pin connector.

Can you recommend a safe PSU that will pair well with this MOBO?

Machine is being built for gaming + streaming. Most likely going to lightly overclock.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor $214.00 @ Canada Computers
Motherboard MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard $169.99 @ Amazon Canada
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $94.99 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Crucial MX500 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $64.95 @ Vuugo
Storage Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $64.99 @ Canada Computers
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card $547.50 @ Vuugo
Case Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case $119.99 @ Amazon Canada
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1276.41
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-29 14:21 EST-0500

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Well you should decide if you wanna use a PSU that has more than one EPS connector or not, because that will affect the end price of the power supply.

As an advice, if you don't connect the supplemental 4 pin CPU power connector, your system will still work perfectly.

Now if you don't feel comfortable with that, the cheapest decent power supply that has more than one CPU EPS power connector is this below.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Y3bCmG/phanteks-amp-550-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ph-p550g_us01

If you agree with the above price, then you just found your new PSU! :D

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

The 4-pin EPS connector does not matter at all. That is a mistake on PCPP's end to show the warning.

That is, unless your CPU draws more than 400W.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I've been reading very mixed opinions on this. I can't even remember what exactly I read (it was on a Tom's Hardware forum post) but it convinced me that I should get the extra 4 pin connector.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

LOL, of course the extra 4pin being necessary stuff comes from Tom's Hardware forums. Literally no one has any idea of what they're talking about over there.

Most 18 gauge EPS connectors are rated for 9-10 amps, and with an 8-pin EPS having 4 pairs, worst case the EPS connector can supply 12 * 9 * 4 = 432W of power.

The +12V rail won't drop, nor will the system shut down due to "too high overclocks".

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

No I have not. I was literally about to pull the trigger on all of them last night but didn't have time.

Looks like I'm going to have to rethink the Barracud from the looks of that thread.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

SkyHawk 5900RPM is only $11 more. That's the one I have been choosing for now.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Are those primarily used for surveillance cameras and does that make a difference?

This what you're talking about:

Skyhawk 2Tb

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Not as of now, that is the cheapest one we recommend for now for 2TB.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor $214.00 @ Canada Computers
Motherboard MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard $179.99 @ Newegg Canada
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $99.99 @ Canada Computers
Storage Crucial MX500 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $64.95 @ Vuugo
Storage Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $64.99 @ Canada Computers
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card $547.50 @ Vuugo
Case Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case $119.99 @ Amazon Canada
Power Supply SeaSonic FOCUS 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $112.99 @ Newegg Canada
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1404.40
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-01 18:54 EST-0500
  • 2 months ago
  • 1 point

The 550W Focus is around $16 cheaper and as good as the 650W Focus for that system, which consumes around 350-400W in a overclocked and full load scenario.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube