add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Site Estimating Only 410W for This Build

123xABC
  • 2 months ago

This build is using a mix of used and new components. The site is reporting an estimated wattage of 410W. I will be overclocking the CPU and GPU but nothing radical with only the air cooler. Will the SeaSonic 650 FOCUS Plus Gold 80+ be enough? Too much?

6700k 1070 Ti NH-D15 Fans, sound card,etc.

Items List

Power Supply

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

650W will work.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Site is overestimating. That build draws maybe 300-350W, worst case scenario (overclocked and full load).

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Here's what happens with PSU. You can buy big and "feel safe" but really you're just wasting money (and efficiency). Also, I agree that the site pushes upward the consumption however, it's not a bad thing if you plan on RGBfying your rig.

650W will work but you will not be gaining the efficiency (say you buy an 80+ gold) as you will not tap close enough to the top of the PSU. PSUs are calibrated to provide their best efficiency when used at around 80% I once read. So, even with the heavy wattage this site gives you with a 650W PSU you are using around 65% of the PSU. A 550W PSU makes it 74%. If you plan on pushing your rig by upgrading the board & CPU later or getting a monstrous 2080TI then a 650W will be required but fow now.. I'd say save your money and get a 550.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

EVGA SuperNOVA G3

Thanks for the input. I will use the EVGA G3. It's a 550W PS.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube