add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Should I upgrade my PSU?

Pentium_TitanX
  • 2 months ago

So I'm upgrading my build from i3 7100 to an i7 7700 (no K) (or a 6700 depending on price). I'm also planning on to upgrade my GPU from Gtx 1050 to Gtx 1660 (or any gpu equivalent to that) in the future, and also my RAM from 8gb to 16gb.

Should I upgrade my PSU? It is currently a 450W 80+ Bronze

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/P2PYf9

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

That PSU is pretty low-grade, so something like a CX550 would be a good upgrade.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the feedback! Also, do I need to upgrade it immediately if I'm just upgrading my CPU for now?

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Not really, but it's something to look into

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree, you should upgrade your PSU. Not a fatality if you don't but if you see some weirdness... your first culprit would be there.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Can the PSU be at fault for BSODS btw? Cause I had two and I'm starting to suspect the PSU.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes. The PSU if faulty or underpowered can cause BSOD. Basically if the power signal becomes degraded, Windows (or Linux) can fault and freeze of give you a BSOD. However, before changing the PSU, I would say that you need to reset the BIOS, update it and then see if you get some weird s**t

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube