add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can someone help me pick out a power supply?

Unpolarize
  • 2 months ago

Here are my current parts that I ordered.

I plan on using my old power supply until I get a new one. It's about 4-years-old so I'm hoping it won't cause any issues or die on me with all my new parts. The power supplies I'm currently looking at are from Corsair and EVGA.

Here is a list of the Corsair Power Supplies:

Here is a list of the EVGA Power Supplies:

The thing i'm mainly looking for is just a reliable 80+ Gold rated PSU that delivers continuous wattage. I'm not really sure what the difference is between the Corsair RM and RMx, nor am I really sure what the difference is between the EVGA GQ and G5 (despite one being semi-modular). Ideally I don't want to spend more than $120. I'm looking at 750W, which I know is overkill, but I do like that headroom for any overclocking and potentially new upgrades (like a new GPU) that might require more power draw in the future.

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

The G5 is the successor to the G3 which is the successor to the G5. Sounds good right? Wrong! The G5 is worse than the G3 which is worse than the G2. Evga has managed to make the successor worse each time instead of better. The GQ isn't even on the same playing field, its a budget PSU don't let its price fool you. The Superflower Leadex platform (the G2/P2/T2) have been Evga best PSU's to date.

The RMx and RM are great PSU's but so is your G2. You would really be doing a side grade.

There is absolutely no reason why should get a new PSU. You already have a high end PSU and its not even half way through its warranty. Once its warranty is up I would consider replacing it but not before then.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I personally like using Johnny Guru for PSU reviews, but I couldn't find a G5 review on there so I appreciate the heads up on that. I also decided today to just keep my PSU and get something like a 650W RMx with my next paycheck so that my old PC is at least usable. It's probably best for me to invest my money right now into something like a NVMe drive and nice cable extensions for my new build.

I am curious though, why do you say the G3 is worse than the G2? The review I read on Johnny Guru really didn't have anything bad to say about it.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-750-g5-power-supply,6344.html

I prefer Toms since they do more indepth testing. A perfect example is the G3. They have nothing bad to say about it since they really don't test protections like Tom's does.

Why do I say that the G3 is worse than the G2? The G3 has some issues with its protection. Tom's managed to even kill the 1KW G3.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-1000-g3-psu,4941-6.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-850-g3-psu,4930-6.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-650-g3-psu,5533-6.html

Not the end of the world (outside of the 1KW G3) but its far from ideal and at best it neutralizes the very small gains in performance the G3 has over the G2.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

The G2 you have right now is still a very good psu and no reason to change it really. It has a 10 year warranty to.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree, even though some people tell me to “not risk it.”

I’m planning on using it temporarily until I get a few more paychecks in, but with potential supply shortages coming, I figured it would be best to get a new one now. I also want to use my old PC as either a secondary PC for my TV or something I can give to someone. That said, I plan on getting a PSU either way.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Since you have a 3700X, you can get away with 650W easily even with a 2080 Ti/2080S (since Ryzens don't overclock well)

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4xGnTW/phanteks-amp-650-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ph-p650g_us01

rebranded 2019 Seasonic Focus

And only $100

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

You could save money and just get a cheap Corsair CX/ Thermaltake Toughpower GX1 to throw in your old system.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I actually thought about doing that to save money, but I'm kind of torn between that and getting a newer PSU for my current PC so that the warranty is longer compared to my older one.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Is four years of warranty worth $60 to you?

If it is and you decide you absolutely do want to change out PSUs, I'd recommend getting the 650W Corsair RMx. You'd be just fine running an overclocked 9900k or 3950x+ 2080ti on that wattage and quality of PSU.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube