add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Advice on a new PSU

macetotheface
  • 2 months ago

Currently have a 1600 and 1060, but thinking of upgrading to an RX 5700. My PSU is only 500 watts, and definitely not a terrific model: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XCjG3C/evga-power-supply-100w10500kr.

If I bought the 5700, I would need a new PSU, but unsure of which one. Would like to stay under $100 if at all possible.

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Not sure the extra 50w would help him much but you could get the Corsair CXM 750W for under $100 although i'd go with https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4ZFKHx/evga-supernova-ga-750-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-ga-0750-x1 not that it really matters but it's a gold vs bronze and i personally love corsair but hate their cables prefer the braided sleeves the evga comes with.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Not sure the extra 50w would help him much

It has a extra 70W on the 12V and the issue here isn't power, its quaility. OP cheaped out on the PSU and got a bad one. The PSU should be replaced before doing any further hardware upgrades.

you could get the Corsair CXM 750W for under $100

Its not a bad PSU but its worse than the 650/550/450W CXM which are worse than the CX's. Plus for under $100 you should be able to get PSU's such as Focus's and what not.

although i'd go with https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4ZFKHx/evga-supernova-ga-750-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-ga-0750-x1

This would be cheaping out on the PSU although in a slightly different way than OP did. The Evga GA lacks any reviews. No one knows how good or bad it is.

it's a gold vs bronze

Efficiency is just that. Efficiency. It does not equal build quality or performance and is no way reflective of how good or bad a PSU is. Yes if a PSU lacks 80+ rating it is a bad sign since it either means that it is using some awful platform or the company is so poor that they can't even pay the ~$1500 required for 80+ to test the PSU but if a PSU has a 80+ rating you really can't judge how good or bad it is by it. Also the 80+ rating actually isn't good for showing efficiency since the testing is done at room temperature which isn't realistic and units can be under rated such as the Corsair CX which does nearly gold. Plus when it comes to saving money outside of extremes you are looking at a few dollars saved a year, it could take years or even decades to make up the cost of a more expensive unit with higher efficiency.

i personally love corsair but hate their cables prefer the braided sleeves the evga comes with

No Evga PSU's that I know of come with sleeved cables. The GA definitely does not come with sleeved cables.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

That unit costs $110 without mail in rebate. Seems to be a decent unit considering the specs, but 750 watts are too much for such a build anyway.

For a full modular unit, i would opt for this unit instead.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bqVD4D/corsair-rmx-2018-550w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020177-na

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks - think this is the one I'll go with. Also looking at Seasonic Focus Gold units as well.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, some Seasonic units are also decent PSUs

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube