add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

i9-9900K cooling upgrade?

jegi20029
  • 2 months ago

Hello, I currently have an i9-9900K OC @ 5GHZ 1.333 Volts. I have a Corsair H115i Pro Platinum 280mm AIO cooler when I ran Cinebench the package temp was around 90c and on idle it is around 55c is this normal? Should I direct die cool this CPU or get a bigger aio like a 360 mm. I was also planning on pushing it, even more, like 5.2 or 5.3 GHz. What options do I have? My AVX setting is on 3 and LLC at medium. thanks

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

The 9900k is rated up to 105°c before throttling so no problems there. If you want to push beyond 5.0ghz why not put 2 140 fans on your aio and have it as a push pull config?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

yes, I was going to change my fans to Noctua fans and do a push and pull config. Just wondering is there any temp benefits of changing to a 360mm aio?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

A 360mm radiator would probably cool a bit better, maybe a couple degrees, but your current temps seem a bit high. Makes me wonder if the pump is running properly or something is clogged.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

This pump is only 5 months old so I will try a new aio and see if that helps with temps. is the corsair h150i pro any good? what are your suggestions? thanks

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

you don't need to upgrade to a new AIO.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you think a delid would help

[comment deleted]
  • 2 months ago
  • 1 point

55c is a bit high for idle. If your AVX offset is -3, you're essentially running the CPU at 4.7ghz while it's processing an AVX workload. +90c sounds a bit high for 4.7ghz. I think the pump on your AIO cooler might not be working correctly.

Have you tried returning your CPU to stock speeds and then stress testing with a program like Prime95 v29.8 with AVX2 off?

I put a 9900k in a build for a relative last year and I overclocked it to 5.0ghz at 1.31v with the AVX offset at -2, and Prime95 26.6 would get the temps up in the 90's. I don't think Cinebench R15 ever got that 9900k that high. Also that 9900k is being cooled with the EVGA 280 clc.

If you need 1.33v to get your 9900k stable at 5.0ghz, I don't see how you could go much higher. It sounds like it's hit the wall.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright I will try the avx offset at -2 and see if that does anything the stock temps that I had were around the 70C area. Also play with the core voltage until I find one that is stable Thanks

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Putting the AVX offset to -2 would likely increase temps because the CPU would clock to 4.8ghz while running AVX instruction, instead of running at 4.7ghz like you currently have it.

Have you tried setting a fan curve or repasting the waterblock to see if that would improve temps?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

So for the fan curve, I did not touch as I don't know how to set it as for the aio it currently has the pre-applied paste that comes with it. For the avx offset I will set at -3 and see what happens

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube