add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

~9° Temperature difference between cores

Linventor
  • 2 months ago

So, my first CPU build. Pretty much everything went perfectly, though I have ended up coming across occasional issues that may have occurred due to my lack of experience. One of which (I think) is a major difference between the temps of my cores. Put simply, while doing a Prime95 test, I found that package temps maxed out at 89°, with the max temp of a single core being 88°. However, the odd thing was that I had cores that maxed out at 79°, 80°, and 81°. Doing some quick googling, I've come to the conclusion that my thermal paste application was not the best. As for what I'm asking: I'd like some thoughts on whether I'm correct, and how I should best go about dealing with this.

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

CPU IHS is not flat causing bad contact to the cooler is my guess.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Like you mentioned it is normal to have varied degrees between cores. Op could check both his CPU and cooler with a flat edge to see if its flat or not, if not, and they're really bugged by it. Lapping the CPU or cooler can be done to see if it will bring the cores temps closer to each other.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube