add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

3800x vs 3700x

Coopzy
  • 2 months ago

What is the difference between the 3800x and the 3700x? I was going to buy the 3800x, but then thought about buying a 3700x, and just oc'ing it. What should I buy? (Pairing it with dark rock pro 4) Thanks, Coopzy!

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

To be honest it wouldn't make a noticeable difference. Getting a 3700x is almost the same as a 3800x, because of - as you said - the tiny extra bit of clock speed you may get with $40. To make more substantial and money efficient upgrade you would need to go to the 3900x, but then thats an entirely different ballpark in regards to whether or not you need that much overkill. Stick w/ the 3700, Hope this helps.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

there's no difference worth paying for. buy a 3700x and enable PBO, buy lunch for two days.

• 2 months ago
  • 0 points

All depends of what are you going to use it the most. You'll be gaining more cores with the 3800x that are good for productivity for instance. On the other hand you'll not have any diference gaming wise.

About Oc'ing, this CPU's "era" don't have any really advantage in that regard, very small margin to gain. The boost they have from fabric will mostly do a better job than manually OC.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

The 3700x and 3800x have the same core count, but the 3800x has 0.3 GHz over the 3700x. What i'm saying is can't I overclock a 3700x, which would make it basically a 3800x, or is that not how it works?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm sorry, you are right about the cores. The base clock as you say is 0.3ghz more, and what I was trying to say is that in this CPUs generation you cant squeeze significantly from OCing, and with that people don't go to AMDs CPUs with the intent to OC. The truth is that this CPUs boost clocks do a very good job of getting the most of its capabilities.

The small margin you see, its the small diference about them. With that, the TDP of the 3700x is only 65w, against 3800x 105w. Good plus here. In my opinion its not worth to pay the 40$ difference.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

ok, thanks!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube