add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Choosing a CPU

Gamezdude
  • 2 months ago

Im currently struggling choosing a new CPU from the 38 linked below. Ive researched alot of the specs alot of which im told is something I should not be worrying about. The prominent deciding factors seem to be GHz, Cores/Threads and Socket.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu/#sort=-name&h=1&B=10000000000,180000000000&C=2,16&X=10313,37220&page=1

The use is games.

Which leads me to a massive problem. Ive heard AMD will no longer be making AM4 CPUs and we will not be getting a replacment socket until 2021. Ive had my heart set on AMD.

Im unable to wait until then as my 7yr PC has just died.

What other deciding factors does everyone use to choose a CPU? Orignally I was going to have the Ryzan 5 1600X two years ago. At the moment im looking at the Ryzen 7 3800X and im question the Threadrippers, although im worried if thats overkill.

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Which leads me to a massive problem. Ive heard AMD will no longer be making AM4 CPUs and we will not be getting a replacment socket until 2021. Ive had my heart set on AMD.

In theory the AMD generation which was semi-launched earlier this year should be on AM4 if/when it launches this year.

Next year brings a new socket and memory for them.

Intel has a new generation and socket in a similar situation.

So just expect no real upgrade path on the motherboard you buy now.

As for gaming needs, AMD side sees very little scaling past the 3600, so if your set on AMD I would look at one of those.

3700X/3800X may or may not last any longer same with Threadripper.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-5-3600/15.html

If you really are interested in upgrade options then I would suggest a older 1600 "AF" or 2600 and bank the extra money till next year brings longer lifespan sockets.

Otherwise build with the best you can afford now.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

So effectively now is the worst time to build a PC for the future due to the pending planned technology. And in effect im going to have to go with a potato (a cheap new build) or repair my current until then....

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Doesn't need to be a potato as the linked review shows and maybe 10% slower at half the cost.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry i worded that wrong. What I mean is any build I do now, effectively will not carry on into the future (CPU, Motherboard and RAM (DDR))

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Not for long at least.

Not with an upgrade path that isn't already outdated.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

There are plenty of powerful options on both lga 1151 and am4 before needing an upgrade

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Depends on what you mean. A build with pretty much any available 6 or 8 core Ryzen (or Intel!) and a decent GPU will be perfectly usable for years. As games evolve you might not be able to run the latest at the highest settings, but if that's what you want, plan on doing a new build every couple years regardless.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

What other deciding factors does everyone use to choose a CPU?

TBH, i've never used "socket compatible upgrade opportunities" as a "deciding factor" in determining a CPU purchase - I just grab the best possible hardware which compliments my personal performance targets and plan for a minimum of 3-4 years before considering an upgrade. At best, the socket prospect is a nice opportunistic bonus for the long run should forthcoming compatible upgrades prove worthy - which spells out 'significant performance uplift' per processor generation. Doesn't always go to plan either as current chipsets, BIOS parameters or power delivery/VRM solutions on some motherboards can be limiting or even incompatible.

Where this can be seen as a pre-determined "deciding factor" is when faced with constricted budgets. You might not be able to achieve the desired performance with limited funds hence an upgradable socket with a cheaper (or previous gen) CPU today in exchange for something superior later down the line makes sense. Depending on your workloads, if you're already capable of achieving exceptional performance which is going to last "several years" you don't need to worry about socket upgrade possibilities. More likely, a solid build today should last several years to come (3-5yrs to say the least, or more) and by then switching-up from scratch with superior performance, greater optimisations and modern-feature-rich hardware will present greater possibilities for a full-swing upgrade (eg. DDR5 desktop platforms are rumoured/expected for 2022/earlier - even if it's 2023, that's only 3 years in the making).

More the reason to ignore socket revivalism! Although the current AM4 standard seems steady to support the impending 4th Gen Ryzen.

At the moment im looking at the Ryzen 7 3800X and im question the Threadrippers, although im worried if thats overkill.

For a more productive approach - it would help to know the following:

1. Budget

2. Purpose of use (gaming/streaming/editing/rendering/etc)

3. Does the budget include the operating system and peripherals (display/keyboard/mouse/etc)

Generally, if the 3800X is reasonably priced over the 3700X, it does earn an occasionally observable 2% performance uplift. Otherwise, stick with the 3700X unless we can do better (performance/value) with your suggested workloads.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Build now, best you can afford, use and then upgrade a few years down the line. While the new sockets that purportedly will come out in 2021 will likely yield a massive uplift in performance, if you do not have a PC working right now you may as well build accordingly with what is available. There is no rule that suggests we should endeavor to keep up with the Joneses that update their builds yearly / bi yearly.

What other deciding factors does everyone use to choose a CPU? Orignally I was going to have the Ryzan 5 1600X two years ago. At the moment im looking at the Ryzen 7 3800X and im question the Threadrippers, although im worried if thats overkill.

Future proofing is often a fools game given new things will always come out. Build best you can afford today and upgrade only when / if seen as necessary. That AM5 muddy's this water only applies to someone sporting an already decent PC, i.e. good AM4/Coffee Lake six core CPU etc. For these people waiting for a new generational cycle might make more sense given what they already have is excellent. You are not in this category of upgrading an already good PC. Build around your needs now, replace/upgrade when your needs changes. Nothing suggests 8 core CPU's are going to be outdated/redundant in the near future.

A Ryzen 7 3700X is very sensible, even if gaming performance over the much cheaper Ryzen 5 3600 is marginal at best.

In our case here, AM5 is just around the corner and that muddy's the sensibility that waiting for something / future proofing being a fools game. In your case you have no PC, so do not bother holding out for something that in all probability could get delayed. We cannot read the future. If AM5 blows AM4 out of the water performance wise, then good for those that upgrade their PC's for it - you do not have to. AM4 will likely give you PC performance you want for several years. That will be good enough - both necessary in your case and sufficient.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube