add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Intel or AMD

iamJAR
  • 1 month ago

Hey guys, I'm sure this topic has been discussed somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

I am currently planning out my first gaming pc build and need some help. I do not know if I should go with the i9 9900k or the ryzen 9 3900x. Both are great cpu's and I know that but everyone seems to be going with the ryzen even though many benchmarks have the i9 getting better frames while in game and what not. I would like this computer to have good upgrade potential but I also want to get what would be best for me right now. I am new to all of this. One thing I have been reading up on is PCIe gen 4 and how ryzen supports this and intel does not. With the new 3000 series graphics cards possible being released sometime this year I do not know if I should let this sway my opinion or not. I plan on getting a 2080 super graphics card for my build. Just thought I'd throw that in there so you all know what I will be pairing either of these beast cpu's with. Any help would be appreciated and if I said something that is incorrect or didn't make sense please let me know. I am trying to learn as much as I can about this stuff!

Thanks!

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I do not know if I should go with the i9 9900k or the ryzen 9 3900x.

For strictly gaming, neither. You don't need 16 or more threads for gaming.

If you want to overclock, you should consider a i7-9700K or KF. If not, I'd recommend a Ryzen 5 3600X.

PCIe gen 4 will make no difference in gaming. Graphics cards don't use anywhere near that much bandwidth. They don't even make full use of PCIe 3.0 yet.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

This is good information. Why does every video and website I read about keep emphasizing the PCIe 4.0 then? If it doesn't matter for gaming where would you notice this the PCIe 3.0 vs 4.0?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

That actually has more to do with storage speeds, than video card speeds. Compared to PCIe 3.0 NVMe drives, the PCIe 4.0 NVMe drives will give you a performance boost, but only in very select workloads.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Ok cool! So for gaming 4.0 won't really make much of a difference over 3.0?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Nope, even 3.0 drives aren't much better over a SATA SSD for gaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AYextvB9l4

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I am currently planning out my first gaming pc build and need some help. I do not know if I should go with the i9 9900k or the ryzen 9 3900x. Both are great cpu's and I know that but everyone seems to be going with the ryzen even though many benchmarks have the i9 getting better frames while in game and what not.

For low threaded activities like gaming, 9900K wins. For high threaded activities the Ryzen 3900X seals the win. I would not bother with the Ryzen 3900X for gaming UNLESS you plan to stream as well and pass off all the encoding to the CPU. Then again with the 3900X being likely cheaper than the 9900K I am finding it hard to recommend the 9900K - particularly if you want to unlock the potential of the chip you will have to go for very good cooling solution while with AMD you will probably be okay with what they give you. If you are the type of person that likes to upgrade the CPU yearly or bi yearly, Ryzen is a much better buy because there is another iteration inbound (where AMD purportedly have dialed up single threaded speeds to match or beat overclocked Intel). Chances are fairly high if you buy the 3900X you will not upgrade until a new gen of chipsets hit the ground making the next AM4 iteration a luxury you can live without. While many folks bleat about future proofing, 16 cores blah blah blah for gaming, rest easy knowing a 8c/16t CPU will not be dated for gaming for a long time. Enough time in fact for you to get 3/4 good years out of your PC before upgrading to the latest and greatest in future. PCIe gen 4 is a bonus for AM4 chipsets that arrived ahead of time. We will see if next gen GPU's run tremendously faster with it (I doubt it will make a big difference). Bottom line the 9900K is a good buy, as is the 3900X.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Ok, so I do want to stream but plan on using my gaming laptop that I play on now for a dual pc set up. My Asus ROG Gaming Laptop has a i7 6700k and a 960 gtx. Would this be capable of being used as a stream pc so that I can just go i9 for pure gaming on my build? I really want to get what will be best for gaming and it seems that is the i9. I plan on pairing it with the kraken x72 360mm. Would this be able to keep the i9 cool?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I cannot imagine the 6700K not being able to handle streaming, even if a mobile CPU with 2.6GHz base clock.

kraken x72

Yes that will certainly tame the i9-9900K and you will probably be able to overclock a bit. Just set the CPU at 5GHz - the i9-9900K is a beast and the kraken x72 will easily handle that. No need to take this chip past that.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Awesome, I appreciate all the help!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube