add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Overclocking help for 9600k and 5700XT Red devil

GE_RM
  • 1 month ago

Hey guys! I'm pretty new to the pc community, joined about November last year. I've built my first pc last month, i5-9600k and 5700xt. I have a Z390 gaming edge AC mobo. I spent all my budget on the "big parts" and only got a $20 cooler. I want to overclock both CPU and graphics card, but I'm afraid the CPU will overheat cuz of the crappy cooler. I also have no experience in overclocking, and barely grasp the concept. One main thing that I'm confused about is the CPU/GPU voltage, which is crucial to overclocking (so I've heard). I spent 2 hours reading articles about electrical engineering, Amps, volts, all that stuff. It only got me more confused. Can someone explain in simple terms what voltage is and how it applies to CPUs and GPUs? Aside from that, can someone recommend overclocking settings for my GPU and CPU? I don't know any "standards" for overclocking on specific components. I don't know what is "expected" from a 9600k in overclocking, especially with a crappy cooler, not a SE platinum. Thanks for reading, even if you don't answer!

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

can you tell us what exact cooler it is? GPU OCing is quite simple with the wide range of "one-click" software available now - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUbpIuywUrk

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It's a Jonsbo CR1000GT, one tower, and one fan. It's not on this site, and from what I see, pretty rare on the internet too. Jonsbo is not that big of a brand, and since its quite hard to mess up on a cpu cooler, any brand will do for me. I went for it cuz of the rgb.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Another issue is that I think I messed up on the thermal paste and didn't spread it evenly, and I suspect some parts of the CPU are not covered with thermal paste. That could possibly affect the cooling. It doesn't seem like it tho, I'm getting idle temps on around 35 degrees.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube