add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Affordable CPU for non-gaming streaming

ryanbach51
  • 1 month ago

Hi all,

I'm a musician building a rig for live-streaming and music production.

I need an Intel processor because my motherboard needs Thunderbolt 3 capability due to my external audio hardware.

I would like to stream myself only (no gaming) at 1080p 60fps.

Trying to keep costs down - which processor could get the job done at a decent price?

Thanks!

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Depends on what you really want performance wise something like a 9100/9400/9500 would do if you are fine with integrated graphics and depending on how many cores you want.

If you are using a discrete graphics card then you could get away with the "F" versions of the above, or look into AMD 3000 series with one of the ASRock motherboards which do support TB3.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

an i5 8400 would be fine, but I don't know if all modern intel cpus support tb3.

[comment deleted]
  • 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Not all and they require a 3600 or better or some wonky stuff starts happening.

[comment deleted]
  • 1 month ago
  • 2 points

You did before the edit.

And like above that model still requires a 3600+graphics card or the TB3 starts doing some wonky stuff with older CPU or the APU.

If they are using any add in cards for sound or anything like that as well it wouldn't work since you need discrete graphics.

[comment deleted]
  • 1 month ago
  • 2 points

If that isn't the case though that board won't work.

Downside of trying to make an ITX workstation, very limited on what you can do and where it can grow.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

While that is good news, that's bumping my $150 ASUS PRIME Z370-A II to a $430 board. I know the ASUS requires an expansion card for TB3 ($50), but that's still keeping me @ $200.

I am using a UAD Apollo Twin for sound - all external.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I am also looking to keep noise down.

[comment deleted]
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your help!

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube