add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

3900X VS 9900K - Stuck on Decision

Patrick_K34
  • 1 month ago

So I am putting together a build right now focused on gaming with the possibility of streaming and editing videos at the same time, other multitasking, etc.

I cannot make a decision on which to get since they are so close in performance and was hoping someone could shed light on their build performance with either. Also, this build will have a 2080 Ti.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Yes, get the 3900X or just wait for the new 10th gen Intel processors.

That's my personal opinion about that matter. :)

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Pure gaming fps, pick the 9900K overclocked, but you do have to ask whether the increase can be supported by the GPU (probably) and the monitor.

Thread heavy processing (e.g. rendering), general do-whatever flexibility, the 4 more cores on the 3900X wins.

I don't think you are going to seriously regret it whichever one you pick.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

3900x is the clear winner in my mind. Unless you're chasing the absolute highest fps targets, the 9900k doesn't make sense. Get the 3900x with a good motherboard and you can upgrade to a 3950x or Zen 3 down the road. You'll have access to PCIE 4.0 which may come in handy given that games will start being developed for the next gen consoles which use fast SSDs, especially if you keep the platform and get a 16 core 3rd gen Ryzen 3-4 years down the line. The 9900k has neither upgrade path or PCIE 4.0, so while it's great now, in 3 years it won't be.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

So I am putting together a build right now focused on gaming with the possibility of streaming and editing videos at the same time, other multitasking, etc.

For gaming alone I would say the i9-9900K is a good choice provided you do your part and invest in an appropriate cooling scheme - particularly if you plan to overclock. If you plan on heavy lifting, looking at running multiple resource hogging software concurrently, I would err towards the 3900X particularly the 3950X. People always suggest "you can upgrade your CPU later". My attitude is why on earth would you want to do that with any urgency in the next couple of years? If you spend $450 - $700 on a CPU you will want to be with that for the longer haul, the forseeable future. When an upgrade proves necessary 3 or 4 years down the line, then there will be a new generation of chipsets with DDR5 Ram widely adopted for you to play with. Upgrade paths make far more sense if you invest in a middling solution now (perhaps due to money) and then upgrade to the big bertha Ryzen 9 3950X in two or three years when it could be available for peanuts. Whatever the case, purchase now with a mind of long term usage. None of these chips, the i9-9900K or Ryzen 9-3900X are even going to remotely date anytime soon. You will get years out of them before seeing the need to upgrade. Decide what your priority is and then purchase accordingly. If you just want to play games and maybe stream, the 9900K is a good choice. If you want to throw heavy multithreaded tasks to your CPU, the Ryzen 9 3900X is a slightly better choice. I would actually suggest get the 3950X instead now, spend $700 and be done with it. It will be your CPU for the next 5 years. At the end of the day, if you are going to be using heavily multithreaded applications on your PC, invest in a CPU that can do this job extremely well. All modern 4c or greater CPU's can game. The fps difference between them is modest, while the upper tier CPU's like 9900K and 3900X/3950X the difference becomes even more marginal. On other tasks, i.e. workstation or professional software that scales with threads, the difference between a 9900X and 3950X could be astronomical.

Decide on what software you are going to use while gaming, research benchmarks, and pick your CPU that ticks the boxes best. Plan to use this PC for years, upgrading the GPU when/if you decide to upgrade your monitor or games prove too demanding with what you have.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube