add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Question regarding number of cores, speed, and usage. Ryzen 7 and Ryzen 5 comparison

RogiePorgie
  • 1 month ago

I'm looking to upgrade quite a few of my parts, but I'm stuck regarding my choice of CPU. I'm trying to decide between a Ryzen 7 2700x and a Ryzen 5 3600/(x).

I'm planning to use it for gaming, video editing, audio editing, and possibly streaming. I know that the 2700x will have more cores but the 3600 will have faster ones but I'm not sure which one I'll need for my purpose and will hopefully be better for me in the long run.

Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

For video editing and streaming, the extra cores in the 2700 would be useful.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! I'm probably going for it then. They were both at the same price point so I just couldn't decide.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I can get the 2700x at around 180 USD. I know it says 300+ on amazon. Would a jump to 3700x at 100 USD be worth it?

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 1 month ago
  • 2 points

2700X.

3600 doesn't perform nearly as well for simultaneous uses because of priority scheduling.

Single tasks are allowed to multithread by themselves. But all task are prioritized onto two cores.

So what happens is Windows is scheduled onto let's say thread 1 and 6 but can spread out as needed.

Start the game it is also run on 1 and 6 also able to spread as need but always uses 1 and 6.

Start OBS to stream it also starts on 1 and 6 and stays there using more threads as needed.

Multi core performance only matters when a single program is being run with the 3000 series or Intels 10th generation which also uses priority scheduling.

When multiple tasks are being run like livestreaming gameplay it's single core performance that limits you first, using the above example cores 1 and 6 will max out fast from all the tasks running on it, the rest can't take the main threads, and you don't get full performance out of the CPU.

2700X by comparison doesn't priority schedule new tasks are started on a new core and allowed to spread out as needed allowing the full core to be used by programs running on it.

Now if you were just using a single program at a time then the 3600 scheduling improves performance by always using the cores with the best mix of latency to operating frequencies even if they are not the fastest cores.

It is only when you start using multiple that this issue comes up and the more performance each task requires the faster the priority cores limit.

And since most also record+stream+game+chat tabs+overlays your multithreading a ton more then you would expect.

Single use benchmarks for multithreading also don't showcase any issues since they are only a single program.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

What is the practical application of priority scheduling that both Red and Blue are using going forward? Are there single-core performance benefits that outweigh the cost of multi-threaded performance?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Both use it to increase boost clock speeds since they can park more cores for a given set of workloads.

Both will likely use it to mitigate performance variance from immature processes.

Both are using it to mitigate security issues from SMT exploits.

Both are aware the multithreading benefits are underutilized by current software, but in order to create a "Need" they are adding more cores, priority scheduling avoids the downsides of higher core count in low thread usage.

Both are aware priority scheduling cherry picks cores for review benchmarking where single uses are almost exclusively used to avoid corruption of the data from extra loads.

Both are also aware it revalidates the HEDT platforms as you get double the priority cores with those, and it revalidates the enterprise platforms which don't have priority scheduling.

Plenty of reason's for AMD and Intel to go for it.

Problem is it completely rewrites how multithreading is handled erasing many benefits people expect, but comes with benefits for those who don't actually need the cores.

Now personally I have a problem with it because for any sort of multitasking it turns a 3600 into a 2c/12t CPU essentially, but at the same time it also means there is very little performance variance between a golden 3600 which runs 4.2ghz on all cores and one of the poor ones that limits at 3.8ghz, which is also debatable but for most they wouldn't actually know the difference.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Are the SMT exploits the bigger reason, coupled with a benefit of making their HEDT SKU's more appealing down the road? Seems a bit crippling for each line of enthusiast destkop lines for as long as it is used. Thanks for the explanation.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Possibly at most SMT only allows a software partition of the core which is not very hard at all to crack.

Forced consolidation onto limited cores would avoid most ways of forcing SMT if the core is already maxed.

And it is only crippling if you run more then one program at a time, flip side of that is how much it impacts when more then one is used at a time.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, those are the conclusions I'd come to but I wanted to make sure. Now a more black-or-white question with regards to zen 2/3 vs zen+, from this conversation it would seem a 1600af/2600 will perform better in multi-threaded uses than a 3600?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube