add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

bought used computer with Intel Core i7 3770K

crzymind88
  • 2 months ago

hey guys im new to building so i been doing research. so i happen to run speccy on a used computer i bought a few years ago just to understand a little more aboout the budling process and i realized i have a Intel Core i7 3770K in it.

I was wondering can this still be used for a good gaming setup. would it be good to remove and to put it into more updated setup?

new to this so im not sure really and youtube only helps so much

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I have a system that I built from used parts that has an E3-1245 v2, which is basically the Xeon version of the Core i7-3770. I have it paired with an RX 580 and it still does rather good with games. With the RX 580 it will play anything at 1080p while getting good framerates.

You can't just pull the CPU out and put it elsewhere. The motherboard it goes into needs to have a matching socket type and the BIOS has to be able to recognize the CPU. You can use Speccy to find out which motherboard you have in your system. CPU-Z is another program that will tell you which motherboard you have. You might have a good z68 or z77 motherboard already for all you know. It's probably not worth the hassle to separate the CPU and motherboard. I would suggest doing more research on your system to see what you can do with it.

If you upgrade the Graphics card then you might need to replace the Power supply and possibly the case, but this depends on the power requirements and size of the Graphics card you pick. If the system doesn't have a SSD, then that will give boot and loading times a facelift.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

For a starter, it should be OK.

(those older i7s have a decent amount of punch left, and given the COVID crisis, the availability and pricing of newer hardware isn't that great..)

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Intel Core i7 3770K in it. I was wondering can this still be used for a good gaming setup.

This CPU will run games just fine. You may want to replace the cooler on it and learn how to overclock. Not essential but a fun activity to explore with your PC.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

The CPU and motherboard have to work together and that CPU won't work in newer motherboards. So rather than transplanting the CPU, if you want to update, plan on keeping the CPU and motherboard that you have now. You can move it into a new case if you want, update the power supply if needed, update or add a GPU (particularly important for gaming!), add or update storage, add memory, etc. (Note that the memory will be the older DDR3 style but it's still easily available.)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Operating System Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 CPU Intel Core i7 3770K @ 3.50GHz 40 °C Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology RAM 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24) Motherboard ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8Z77-V DELUXE (LGA1155) 35 °C Graphics LG IPS FULLHD (1920x1080@50Hz) 1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Undefined) 40 °C 1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Undefined) 37 °C ForceWare version: 391.35 SLI Enabled Storage 1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20EZRZ-00Z5HB0 (SATA (SSD)) 31 °C Optical Drives HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40 HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW UH12LS29 Audio Realtek High Definition Audio

so this is when i ran speccy and it shows me. ive been doing more research and for the time being im going to go ahead and just build a new system and than maybe once i get more info i can see what i can do with this one. ill most likely just part it out.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

The 10th gen Intels do come out in about 6-8 weeks, so hold off for now. If you are gaming, I'd grab a cheap 570 until then.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

That can be a good machine

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube