add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Idle temps for 3700x

Serafin0
  • 1 month ago

Hello I was wondering if idle temps of 50C in balanced power setting, no overclock, no adjustments in the bios other than XMP profiles is normal. When I pop it into power saving mode the temps drop to 40C. If I think I'm posting the right thing in balanced mode core voltages were 1.43V and clock speeds were at 4.2 GHz. I'm not sure these numbers are the ones I should be posting to give you guys an idea (fairly new to comps and this is the first one I've built). Anyways thank you so much for the help!

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 3 points

Make sure PBO is disabled in BIOS.

Most motherboards default it to on and it runs way too much voltage which isn't necessary to get max performance out of a CPU.

Ryzen idles high because the I/O block (Same thing that has a dedicated fan on X570) and data fabric always run at full speeds in case you start something so your not waiting on them.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Sorry, but what is PBO. I have an asus b450i mobo if that changes anything

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Disable core boost my 3700x idles at 30c 4.2ghz at 1.32v if you leave core boost on with voltage on auto it will stay around 1.41 and even peak at 1.5 idk why but stock settings in every x570 mobo I've used has run crazy high voltage for no reason

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

1st and 2nd are easily explained.

Planned degradation mitigation through dynamic boost profiles.

1st generation laid the groundwork with dynamic load and voltage shift as degradation of the data fabric or cores is detected.

2nd generation takes advantage of this with dynamic boost profiles which allow normally beyond safe voltages to be used as needed.

They can squeeze out more by bending the normal safety rules since the CPU will automatically adjust for degradation and scale cores used then clock speeds as needed.

They have 6-cores minimum on the consumer models so longevity isn't terribly effected. All cores being validated for max boost clocks means they can degrade 5 and still be within guaranteed specs.

Low core count models that are more heavily effected are kept to OEM where reduced lifespan isn't a negative since they work with a planned 2-3 year expectancy.

Other side of that coin is CPU for consumers were dead ending fast with a 5-6 year half life and both AMD and Intel were literally producing themselves out of business.

So dropping planed half life into the 3-4 year range would be good for business and arguably the consumers since with yearly launches 3-4 years would offer a solid upgrade ay least arguably.

3rd generation kind of throws a wrench into things since it still uses the boost profiles of 2nd but priority scheduling means that the mitigations for degradation are no longer viable since the same two or four cores will always be used. Which means the mitigations are likely shifted to silicon now.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Hey just installed a 3700x myself on a TUF gaming x570-plus board and seeing similar idle temps with an AIO water cooler. Did you end up finding out if these temps are normal? Or did you find a way to lower them?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

i simply went to the power options and switched to balanced dropped by ~10C ath least that's what ryzen master is telling me

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube