add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Dilemma: now have a 9100, and 9100F - which to install...

Coco-POKs
  • 1 month ago

Ok so I'll skip the long story of how I stupidly ended up in the situation.

Situation: Building a PC for my Dad for Home/Office use, unlikely to game or do any higher end applications (video edit etc). I now have all the parts ready to build, but need to decide between: A) Installing a Intel i3-9100F (new), with a Gigabyte Radeon 7950 (pre-owned) graphics card

OR

B) Install an Intel i3-9100 (new) without a graphics card (as integrated basic intel graphics on CPU)

Whichever CPU I don't use will be brand new sealed, so can onsell without too much loss.

9100F: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/YTbwrH/intel-core-i3-9100f-36-ghz-quad-core-processor-bx80684i39100f 9100: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/NfKcCJ/intel-core-i3-9100-36-ghz-quad-core-processor-bx80684i39100 Graphics Card: https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Graphics-Card/GV-R795WF3-3GD-rev10-20#ov

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 5 points

no brainer, use the one with the igpu and sell the cut down one. tbh I do see a point in Intel selling all these variants and will never recommend to someone to buy them. I've been building pcs for 20 years and have had up to 3 of my own builds at a time, I cannot tell you how convenient it is to have an igpu. it's a very understated selling point for Intel vs AMD and an "F" sku removes one of the few value propositions Intel cpus have left. better to have the igpu and not need it than to need it and not have it.

had a HD7950 years ago. big card, big gpu, kind of power hungry and outdated. and I can't speak to the condition of that pre-owned one you're referencing. those cards were used HEAVY for mining. it's definitely not something that makes sense to run in an office machine. the power draw and heat is not worth it and this is not even accounting for things like driver support or whether or not your psu can handle the card or what your case/cooling situation is (because that info wasn't given). you'd be better off buying a current gen low end gpu than a 7950.

• 1 month ago
  • 4 points

For home and basic office stuff, I vote for the 9100 and sell the 9100F.

The HD 7950 is probably faster than the integrated graphics, but graphics speed isn't important to home and basic office work as long as it's good enough and the igpu in a 9100 is good enough. The HD 7950 will just add heat and power draw without contributing anything really useful.

• 1 month ago
  • 4 points

Even if you don't use the integrated graphics they are there in case the old used card fails or doesn't work.

Which for family less headaches is way better.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube