add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Power supplies for old “attic” finds (2004 parts)

wackazoa
  • 1 month ago

So I was cleaning out our storeroom at work and I found some old PC’s. Pentium 4 (2.8 Prescott and 2.4 Northwood), a Celeron (Northwood), and a AMD Sempron (2200+). I got them to boot up in their cases and found they still work fine. Microsoft XP FTW!!!!

Also found some other PC’s that didnt work but I robbed 2 video cards and some hard drive from them, etc.

Now Id like to make something to play around with, show my nephews/nieces what PC’s used be like. But since they are all on old OEM (Dell and HP) powersupply 250/300W, I was thinking of maybe putting something newer in.

Doing some reading I have found that newer PSU’s run thier power more in the 12V side than then 3.3/5V side. Any suggestions on newer PSU that have higher 3.3/5V? 25/30A seem to be a good target, but Im having trouble finding anything like that on new.

And lastly... is used even a option I should consider?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

You could probably get used for free if you knew the right person. I have thrown a lot of them away over the years. If it were me, if it worked I'd run it. When it quits then put new parts in. Just blow them out with air good so they don't get hot and check the case temps, some didn't have very good cooling back then. But that is me. I mean the PSU should be able to power what is in it unless you added components, far as power ratings.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube