add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Recommend a good power supply please!

ratorx
  • 86 months ago

I have a MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti and a i5 3570k along with other parts. PCPartPicker says that the Wattage is 321, but I am going to OC my processor (try to get 1.1GHz more out of it). Is the Corsair Builder 430W enough or do I need a bigger power supply.

Other components (which might affect Power supply):

Fractal Design Define R4 case - Ill be using all the fans which come with it. Cooler Master 212 Evo - For the OC

Comments

• 86 months ago
  • 2 points

Corsair CX600M, $63; Seasonic M12II 620, $75; Rosewill Capstone 550M, $90; Seasonic SSR-550RM, $90; Seasonic M12II 650, $90; Seasonic SSR-650RM, $94; Coolermaster Silent Pro M2, $95; Antec HCG-620M, $98; NZXT Hale82 650M, $100. Those are some PSUs I'd recommend for < $100. Note that the Capstone and SSR series power supplies are more efficient than the rest (80+ Gold ratings vs 80+ Bronze). All of them are modular.

• 86 months ago
  • 1 point

+1 Corsair CX600M, $63

• 86 months ago
  • 1 point

Go with a name brands.

Corsair, SeaSonic have both been recommended. Antec too but there is a line from antec that is not recommended.

Sounds like the Corsair Builder 430W should be enough but I'm not sure how much more power an OC would require.

There are websites out there that will help to calculate factoring in all of the details, including number of drivers, overclock, SLI and so on. I'd hit a couple of those to check.

--

On a separate note, you probably won't get an intel overclocked +1.1GHz with just a 212 Evo. I could be wrong but from what I heard, the EVO just won't be enough...

• 86 months ago
  • 1 point

Go what Frank said. Corsair has some really nice PSU but Seasonic have the best ones out there (but way more expensive). However, I do suggest 500 watts or a 600 watts PSU. If you want to upgrade down the road, having that extra wattage really would come in handy.

• 86 months ago
  • 0 points

When buying a PSU you want good value, name brand, 80 plus certified. Having said that your system will work fine with 430w but like most things the more the better. A 500 to 600 watt PSU be what you need should you upgrade to SLI or if you have more than 4 HD's. Check out the PSU that Mousseng recommended.

the evo will handle 4.5ghz OC with no problem.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube