add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

is 42celcius too hot for idle with a Corsair H80i + i5 4670k (stock)

jasher11
  • 84 months ago

the computer idles at around 42 celcuis in the bios and with core temp any help, is it installed badly?

Comments

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

don't know about haswell, but my 3570k idle at 28-33 celcuis with a h60. and that is oc'ed to 4.1ghz

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

it must be installed wrong because at stock clock 42 seems wayy too high, maybe after some intense gaming the thermal paste will spread out a bit more and be more effective

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

I also have a 4670k and H80i, and my idle temperatures are around 33-36C at stock speeds. It can go as hot as 40C on particularly hot days. Are you sure you enough airflow is getting to the radiators?

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

air-flow make sure you have suffcient air flow in your case and also you room temp and humidty can greatly affect cooling in any computer.

your not OC it are you?

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

Those numbers are purely at stock settings. However, I do have an above average chip, so my temperatures may be pretty off to other people's. To give you a sense, my chip can run 4.4GHz stable at only 1.16V and 68C at load.

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

I think you might have installed it badly. I know I did when I first tried as when I took it off I found that only half the thermal paste had actually contacted the CPU, despite me screwing it down with a screwdriver (relatively lightly).

To tune it, I remounted it and sat with the case open running prime95 -- I had to tweak each side of the cooler to a different tightness until I saw a drop in temp..

I now get 76/74/72/65c maximum during Prime95 runs, and 28/31/33/29c minimums during idle.

I'm not really convinced it works "as advertised" -- I'm still not 100% sure it's set up entirely correctly but eh.. It's better than the 93c I got when it wasn't mounted ok.

Seems like an ok cooler, I guess. It's horribly noisy at full tilt tho :/

• 83 months ago
  • 1 point

I think you are right but it its at 4.0ghz and idles at 40 degrees but its not too loud and the case has good air flow so i think its fine now and its not gonna be overclocked anymore but thanks to everybody for the replies sorry i have been busy and havent been able answer to anyone

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

I have a h80i also, and I run 39 to 41 c. at idle too. My led on the pump stopped glowing blue too. I just said screw it and ordered a h100i. I will post how that goes later tonight when I get it in. I have a nzxt phantom 630 case with plenty of air flow, so i would think that it should run cooler. I know that they suggest to set up the fan on the cooler to intake rather then exhaust, but I didn't want to make the sacrifices and movements. I have a i7 3770k and Intel says that it shouldn't go past 100c. I tried reinstalling it with new thermal paste, nothing. I decided to just up it and get the bigger cooler, but i also have a problem with blowing money too. I bought a as-rock extreme mother board and then turned around 2 days later and bought asus thunderbolt because I thought it was bad. Turned out that my brand new corsair power supply was to blame. I know that corsair is supposed to be good but I'm 0/2 in parts.

• 83 months ago
  • 1 point

So I installed the h100i and now I am running idle temps of 19 to 21 Celsius. Im glad that i made the switch.

• 83 months ago
  • 1 point

wow nice

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube