add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

i7-4770 (Non-K) should I get an aftermarket cooler?

StewieMonSta
  • 83 months ago

Today I received a i7-4770, my case will be Define R4 by Fractal Design. Should I get an aftermarket cooler (212 Evo) I am not overclocking but would like to be able to enable turbo-boost. Also in my opinion the stock cooler was smaller than I thought and i'm not sure if it will suffice underload, I want a cooler so I don't have to keep checking the temps when it's under load just to check. Or will the stock cooler be alright because I do like an easy installation. Thanks.

Comments

• 83 months ago
  • 2 points

its not necessary but will keep your cpu cooler which has the potential to make it last longer...although you will probably upgrade before that window hits...the installation of the stock and the evo are pretty similar from what ive seen though...i mean i went with the h100i liquid cooler and even that was easy..just had to fasten a few screws..id be tempted to go with the evo just cause its such a good fan cooler and its cheap anyway..if the evo cost 60 bucks id say stick with the stock

• 83 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi, thanks for your reply. I will probably not upgrade for about 5 years because I am only 13 and I do not have a job so I do not have much money. I hope every component will last 5 years (It's alright if say the optical drive doesn't because it's cheap to replace). Will my CPU ever overheat under load at stock clock with the stock cooler under load? Also if I have high profile ram will the 212 EVO hit it? Thanks.

• 83 months ago
  • 2 points

i doubt the cpu will overheat at stock with the stock cooler...i mean its made for that cpu...ive run computers for years without overclocking with the stock coolers...im not sure about the evo hitting the ram...it would probably depend on the case and the motherboard

• 83 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! Ill probably stick with the stock cooler, at what load temperature should I start to take action at?

• 83 months ago
  • 2 points

i think they are designed to hit 90C but not for a long time..i think you should be fine at load around 70C but id get a more informed answer on that question...im not completely sure

• 83 months ago
  • 2 points

70C on full load is fine, heck 78 or lower is fine on full load, id just say lower than 80 on full load and you'll be good. you'll never hit that with the stock cooler at the stock multiplier :).

• 83 months ago
  • 1 point

I would recommend it. It keeps your CPU cooler which = longer lifespan, and most aftermarket coolers are a LOT quieter than the stock ones.

So I would either recommend getting an aftermarket cooler (the EVO is only $25 and offers exceptional performance for its price) or getting a good amount of case fans to keep your CPU (and basically everything else) cool and comfortable.

• 83 months ago
  • 1 point

I was considering extra case fans but I am not sure if the AsRock Pro4 H87 board will have enough fan headers, could someone check please, because it is confusing.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube